RenalWEB Home Page    renalweb.groupee.net    RenalWEB Discussion Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Dietary Concerns / Dietitians  Hop To Forums  Dietitian's Forum    Homework help: Weight Loss/Nutritional Plan

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Homework help: Weight Loss/Nutritional Plan
 Login/Join

posted
For my physiology class I have a project where I am given information about a person and I am instructed to use this information to design a nutrition/weight loss plan. I have done my best; can anyone verify that this looks right?

--
Assignment #3: Weight Loss/Nutritional Plan

Patient:
Sex: Male
Weight: 190 lbs
Height: 6'1"
Waist Measurment: 40"

Lifestyle details:
Patient works 9-5 in an office building. Patient was formerly sedentary, but in the interest of fitness, for the last 3 weeks has been biking between 1 and 2 hours a day, sometimes 3. Patient has expressed a desire to eat healthfully in order to "lose weight", but does not have a specific goal.
a) Outline a suggested diet for the client. Explain in detail why you have chosen this diet and its benefits.
b) Design a weight loss program using this diet and the described lifestyle details. Include technical details and explain in detail why you have chosen this workout plan and its benefits.
--

Okay, so this is what I have done:
First of all I calculated the patient's BMI at 25.1, which is above the recommended 24.9, so the patient is overweight. I calculated the body fat percentage at 24% which is above the 8-20% recommendation.
Then I calculated the patient's BMR to see what their resting caloric expenditure is, and I found it to be approximately 2000C. His active lifestyle results in an activity expenditure of between 700 and 1300C, making his overall Caloric needs to be around 3300 Calories at the top end and 2700C at the low end.

I understand that in order to lose weight there needs to be a Caloric deficit. However, I know that if the deficit is too large, the BMR slows because the body goes into 'starvation mode'. What I don't know is if that intake number is static or if it changes with the overall BMR. (for example would a person with a 1400 BMR and one with a 2200 BMR experience a consistent metabolic stalling if they ate less than 800Calories, or would the person with a higher BMR have a higher threshold of 'starvation mode'?)
Not knowing this I decided that if a 2000C diet is generally recommended, and the patient's BMR is 2000, then setting a Caloric limit around 2000C would allow for sufficient nutrient intake but guarantee weight loss. So, if the client has a Caloric deficit of between 700 (bike riding 1 hour a day) and 1800 (for the days he rides his bike for 3 hours) that should guarantee expedient weight loss. (I have heard varying opinions from various sources saying the deficit should be around 500 Calories and no more, but other sources are saying as long as the nutritional requirements are met; ie the body doesn't go into starvation mode; then the deficit can be as large as possible for best results?)

For the diet, I have advised that the client cut out processed foods high in fat, added sugar, and sodium and eat a variety of vegetables, whole grain products, and protein sources while cutting down on meat protein sources which are high in fats, such as red meat. I have also recommended that the client record all food intake and monitor Caloric consumption and expenditure using www.eatracker.ca.

So, does this all sound right? I want to do well on the assignment, but I am not certain if all my reasonings and calculations are correct, especially regarding Caloric intake and deficit.
What is the best Calorie intake limit to aim towards for this person, considering their activity profile?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.