New
Find
Notify
Tools
nurse/pct and patient ratio
 Login/Join

<Hez>
posted
I work for a clinic in the NW for a Davita clinic and cant find the policy on the amount of patient per nurse/pct. The new FA (first time being exposed to dialysis says the p&p is 1rn 1pct per 8pt. Anybody know the p&p. Seems impossible to me.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Quite sure I've read that the ratio can't be more than 4 patients per member of qualified staff.

Here in RSA we don't have PCT's. Only RN's and Clinical Technologists (such as myself) who handle the patient treatment. We try to keep it as low as possible and average on about 3 patients per member of staff.

Posts: 10 | Location: RSA | Registered: 30 January 2014Report This Post
<RN>
posted
Not sure but I think FMC is 1RN:12PTs and 1PCT:4PTs

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hez,

If your company policy is 4:1 then technically that's all that is needed. I'm not sure if it is a CMS or Maryland regulation but in Maryland at least, if there are 9 or more patients there has to be a RN (Charge) that does not count in the ratio.

Chuck

DISCLAIMER : My opinions and views are mine and may not be the same as my employer.

Posts: 1787 | Location: Baltimore, MD USA | Registered: 24 October 2001Report This Post
<Old phart>
posted
Back in the day, (early 90's) when I was a PCT, the ratio was 3 to 1, 1 RN on each side of the room, (equals 12 patients) and a Charge. Those were the daysSmiler

Report This Post
<state reg's too>
posted
some states also have regulations on the staff patient ratio (nj,tx,ca.) but 4:1 is industry standard in most areas,

Report This Post
<shipjumper>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Hez:
I work for a clinic in the NW for a Davita clinic and cant find the policy on the amount of patient per nurse/pct. The new FA (first time being exposed to dialysis says the p&p is 1rn 1pct per 8pt. Anybody know the p&p. Seems impossible to me.

1 rn and 1 pct is 2 staff per 8 pts or 4:1 ratio. Not ideal for the nurse or tech but very doable. Some of the smaller 6-8 station clinics are only started up with 1 nurse and 1 tech.

Report This Post