New
Find
Notify
Tools
art pressures
 Login/Join

<Malory>
posted
Does anyone monitor arterial pressures before treatment. Our admin . says this needs to be done, Just not sure what they are looking for??
any help please.

Report This Post
<Malory>
posted
It is the pre pump arterial pressure I'm referring to. If there is a different way to measure this please let me know. Thanks

Report This Post
<Kevi>
posted
Could be that they want the press. before you run the blood pump to see if the fistula needle is well placed and if there is a good blood flow in the fistula

Report This Post
<Malory>
posted
That is what I thought, but if you do that you come up with arterial pressures around 10-40s. They said that a pre pump arterial pressure should be between -200 and -240. I can't find any literature on how or when this is to be done but in crownweb it asks if we are doing it or not. ??

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Ask your admin to show you what they want because you cant have a neg pressure on pre blood without running bloodpump

Posts: 38 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 17 January 2008Report This Post
<RN>
posted
Pre pump arterial pressures should not be greater than negative 200 - 250. I don't think they are referring to pre-treatment arterial pressures, but during treatment. You would monitor venous pressures pre-treatment.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
What they are probably looking for is the intra-access pressure (IAP) or "static pressure". A single reading means little as you are actually looking for changes in pressure over time. An increase in IAP would point to a venous stenosis and a decrease would point to an arterial stenosis.

Chuck

DISCLAIMER : My opinions and views are mine and may not be the same as my employer.

Posts: 1767 | Location: Baltimore, MD USA | Registered: 24 October 2001Report This Post
<techtoo>
posted
The "pre-pump arterial pressure" is just the technical term for the arterial pressure reading on the machine. It is said to be pre-pump because it is measured (via transducer in our K2s) before the blood is passed through the pump on the machine. It should be a reading of between -10 and -250 as pressures beyond -250 are contraindicated due to mechanical hemolysis of blood. Positive arterial pressures at prescribe blood flow rate indicate access complications or failure of the machine to accurately measure the pressure. (eg: the arterial transducer not plugged in to machine during tx.) Hope this helps!

Report This Post