RenalWEB Home Page    renalweb.groupee.net    RenalWEB Discussion Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Nursing / Patient Care Issues  Hop To Forums  General Dialysis Nursing Issues and Questions    Post dialysis standing B/P's prior to disconnecting lines

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Post dialysis standing B/P's prior to disconnecting lines
 Login/Join

<deb>
posted
Currently our unit does post standing B/P's after the needle's are removed. Some staff with experience in other unit's have suggested that we trial doing standing B/P's prior to disconnecting the lines, so saline can be given if B/P is low. My concern is that if a Pt. does experience an orthostatic episode and falls, the needles or the IJ catheter could more easily be dislodged, if they are still connected to the lines. Unfortunately I have seen this occur during my career in dialysis and I would prefer not to experience it again. I understand that staff need to remain next to the Pt. during
the standing B/P check, which may prevent fall's from happening, but during the change over, there are numerous distractions that may not always make this possible.
Wondering what the practise is in other unit's?

Report This Post
<Debi>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by deb:
Currently our unit does post standing B/P's after the needle's are removed. Some staff with experience in other unit's have suggested that we trial doing standing B/P's prior to disconnecting the lines, so saline can be given if B/P is low. My concern is that if a Pt. does experience an orthostatic episode and falls, the needles or the IJ catheter could more easily be dislodged, if they are still connected to the lines. Unfortunately I have seen this occur during my career in dialysis and I would prefer not to experience it again. I understand that staff need to remain next to the Pt. during
the standing B/P check, which may prevent fall's from happening, but during the change over, there are numerous distractions that may not always make this possible.
Wondering what the practise is in other unit's?

Report This Post
<Reuckypneup>
posted
Branson also created it's own headliners. The fiddle-playing Shoji Tabuchi is no doubt one of the performers in Branson, and he, any doubt, contains the most ornate theatre bathrooms in Branson. Other performers like Moe Bandy, Doug Gabriel and Paul Harris have developed name for their use in this tough your area.

Report This Post
<Guest>
posted
Standing before disconnecting. Lock their chair and watch them during the BP check. If they look disoriented or wobbly, immediately give them a hard push backwards so they fall into the chair.

If your staff can't be there while the patients do a standing BP, then that sounds like a staffing issue. Even if the patient is disconnected, someone should still be there during the BP. An uncontrolled fall is bad regardless of whether the needles are in or not.

Report This Post