New
Find
Notify
Tools
medisystems streamline bloodlines
 Login/Join

<Sunny>
posted
We are trialing new lines from medisystems and I would like to get opinions from other nurses who have had experience with these lines. We are about 8 weeks into the trial and our nurses don't really like them for a variety of reasons; too short, having to fill the pods, etc.

They are supposed to provide better blood flows, less clotting, less heparin requirements, less regulated waste to dispose of, etc. Our rep provided us with several contacts who "love" the lines, but I would like to hear both sides of the story. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Report This Post
<CTTechie>
posted
Hi Sunny. We have been using Streamlines for about 8 months now. We trialed them for about 3 months and the data really supported Medisystems claims. Once our staff got used to the new lines they really liked them. New patients have commented on how quiet our clinic is because there are so few alarms. We have been able to lower many treatment times, reduce dialysate flows, lower our waste cost and reduce our heparin amounts. Most patients only get a bolus and no maintenance or mid-dose! We also have several patients with HIT who cannot get heparin. We tried Citrasate with little results, but when we switched to streamlines they stopped clotting off their systems.

We achieve between 400-450ml/min blood flows on catheters and 450-500ml/min blood flows on fistulas and grafts.

I DO NOT work for medisystems, so if my high praise sounds like a sales pitch it is only because I genuinely believe in this product.

If you have other questions about my experience then post a reply and I'll get you my contact info.

Good luck in your research.

Report This Post
<Guest>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Sunny:
We are trialing new lines from medisystems and I would like to get opinions from other nurses who have had experience with these lines. We are about 8 weeks into the trial and our nurses don't really like them for a variety of reasons; too short, having to fill the pods, etc.

They are supposed to provide better blood flows, less clotting, less heparin requirements, less regulated waste to dispose of, etc. Our rep provided us with several contacts who "love" the lines, but I would like to hear both sides of the story. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Heard this from a sale person- your unit should be quieter? Did you have wet TP with your old lines? No wet protectors would help us with surveyors as they seem to be focused on that in NY. We don't have the right machine for this line or we would look at it!

Report This Post
<Sunny>
posted
For CTTechie: thanks for the feedback. You did give high praise. What data did you collect and what process did you use to change treatment parameters ie BF, heparin dose, etc. Thanks again.

For Guest: I work in NY too and the survey season has started it seems. We did have a few wet transducers with the old lines and these lines do eliminate that. About the noise, I can't honestly say I've noticed a difference probably because I haven't paid attention. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

Report This Post
<CTTechie>
posted
Hi Sunny. We had a protocol provided by Medisystems that examined BFR, DFR, Kt/V, and dialyzer size. The MD would examine results for all patients each month and make changes accordingly. The first change was to maximize BFR. 500ml/min for fistula/graft, 400-450ml/min for catheters. After 1 month with the higher BFR the Kt/V was examined and if it was significantly higher that 1.4 then the MD ordered a lower dialysate flow rate. We had been using autoflo 2x with everyone, but most were reduced to 500 or 600 ml/min. After the second month of data with the increased BFR and decreased DFR the MD once again examined the Kt/V data and made any appropriate changes.

We did this trial for about 6 months, so we got a pretty good look at the effectiveness, especially when we pulled a baseline report from the previous 3 months worth of data. We are now getting >95% of our patients to 1.4 and about 80% of our treatment times are 3 hours. All but 4 of our patients are on Baxter Xenium 150 dialyzers; the other 4 are on Xenium 170s.

I hope this info helps. Good luck.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Our chronic unit has been using them for around six months, and we in the acute unit around a month. It still looks funny to see the kidneys running with the blue side up, but, as was explained, it's supposed to be an airless system. Once the air is purged, the single chamber should have no air either. The jury is still out for me, but they seem to work smoothly. I'm sure there will be improvements in the future.

posted Hide Post
We use Streamline, worked with Medisystems while somewhat in the development stage. The lines are great. Staff initially had the same comments,didn't like them for all the reasons you mention, but when we recently acquired another unit and had went back to other bloodlines (briefly) they were all anxious to get Streamline back.
There is definitly less waste, we reduced our dialysate flow, heparin doses are lower and most beneficial, no transducers!
Change is Good!
We use Streamline on both Fresenius and Braun machines.

<Guest>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Sunny:

Thanks in advance.

SUNNY, I would be interested to hear what your unit decided about this line. My unit is in discussions with our rep about it and I don't want to waste time and money if it is not going to do what they say. Thanks.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok. Had our first problem a couple of days. The venous pillow membrand ruptured sending blood into the inner transducer. This happened twice in one week. Company said they have had this touble with this lot number. So for now we're attaching the external transducers until they get things resolved. Acute unit, hep C patient. {:0(