New
Find
Notify
Tools
water hardness
 Login/Join

<pct>
posted
Are there any nurses or pcts out there that think the water hardness check is not important? I asked our machine guy today what we should do if the water hardness was over the limit. He said "Write it on the checksheet". Really? What if it gets worse? I think patients lives are at risk with that type of attitude.

Report This Post
<Tech>
posted
The hardness test is important, but not always an immediate concern. The softener is in place to protect the RO. The RO will remove calicum and magnesium from the water but long term it will scale the membranes causing a decrease in performance. Depending on the hardness level in your water that could take a week or a year.

Report This Post
<Guest>
posted
Once had to leave a softener in bypass for over a week because it took longer to get in the shipment of resin than we anticipated. No ill effects to either the patients or the membranes.

The reason your "machine guy" told you to just write it on the check sheet is probably because he checks the logs regularly. We check ours weekly at a minimum. I know some people who only cover one clinic who check their logs daily.

Report This Post