RenalWEB Home Page    renalweb.groupee.net    RenalWEB Discussion Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Staff Lounge  Hop To Forums  Nurses and Techs    How do we assemble a union or fight for our right?!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do we assemble a union or fight for our right?!
 Login/Join

<Fighting>
posted
I know this topic has been brought up a few times. Union or no union. First question is who do we talk to about finding a union rep. If we don't want to go union would anyone. E up for standing up and fighting for better work conditions? We as bio meds have taken on more crap then Biomed staff did 20 years ago. We need to be heard! Some of us have done "city council" meetings. Some have disscussedbissues. Nothing has been resolved. Raises are a joke while atoms get paid a heft amount along with rtom and rvp's. They once gave bonuses but now it's only to upper mangamnet. Quaility of work from us has taken a dive due to the push on hours. 40max unless you are on call and only then your questioned. Some of the lifers are maxed in there pay and don't want to rock the ship. We are Biomed not stock boys, or inventory skanks. Our concern are the patients and making sure the equipment is safe while staying within safe standards of the prescriptions that are made up of. The big F does reviews around April! Most jobs give a 10% for the laziest employees. We are Biomed we are hand picked (most of us). We trouble shoot on the fly. We need to be paid! If the CEO can get large bonuses for sitting through meetings; everyone should get a piece of the pie. We work all hours on call off call weekends nights to make sure these clinics run. I love my job but I shouldn't have to work two jobs! With the threat of this job comes first! Stand with me guys what can we sort out!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Remember>
posted
I was here twenty years ago, you ain't seen nothing!
if you're treated that poorly, find a new job. This is America your always free to find other opportunities.
By the way if you think the ATOM or CEO jobs are that good go back to school and get one of those jobs.

posted Hide Post
These posts crack me up. Like a union is going to solve all the issues!

Greed is the problem. More money will not fix the issues because the people who make the decisions, are only worried about money.

I too struggled with I deserve this or I deserve that, I'm not doing this or that, it's not my job.

Then I heard a sermon that completely changed my attitude towards my work, this verse spoke to me:
(Colossians 3:23-24)
Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ!

I came from the union Steelworkers to be exact, and you want to talk about complaining, but making top dollar, then eventually being so greedy that the US steel making is just about gone! Greed is an evil thing planted by the enemy in our hearts. Give thanks you have a job!

Search me O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting! (Psalms 139:23-24)

Posts: 108 | Location: In Christ | Registered: 16 November 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Guest>
posted
Then what happens when the union tells you to go out on strike if they can't negotiate a better deal for you? I have a friend who works at a refinery who was told to strike a couple of years ago. It dragged on and the poor guy was on Facebook every day selling his guns, tools, furniture, etc., to make ends meet. I guarantee you the guys that told him to strike didn't miss a paycheck.

<philosophical101>
posted
Though I support Unions in some areas and they have historically had a benefit for workers and safety.

Unions have no place in healthcare.

The power of a union is to strike.

Quality of care is intentionally disrupted during a strike.

Grandmas, Grandpas, Moms, Dads, Brothers, Sister, Sons and Daughters receive inadequate care or die during a strike.

Unions in healthcare are bad.

Utilize other more patient friendly ways to achieve your goals.

<Guest>
posted
Though I personally don't want to fool with a union and have a second boss to answer to, I can see why people get so mad they wish they had one. As far as things being tougher 20 years ago, don't listen to that old "I used to walk up hills both ways to school" malarkey. Older people always want you to believe they had it rougher. I've been here almost 10 years and I can tell you that we went from having almost no standards to impossible standards.

In the older days in my area the clinics:

Didn't rebed a carbon tank UNTIL you had breakthrough, so that could mean a carbon tank went 10 years without a rebed if it held up that long.

The portables had only one carbon tank and just like the big ones, you let it go until the RN had breakthrough. Very dangerous, so glad they changed that one.

Didn't disinfect water loops until there was a bad culture, so if you went 6 months with good cultures, you didn't disinfect a loop that long.

Didn't have CAPA plans for bad cultures, instead you just kept redrawing and redrawing until you got a good culture.

Had a incubator for doing your own cultures. People drew their own cultures and then put them in their own incubator and checked them through the 48 period. Unfortunately it was inevitable that people would BS there cultures and just say good each time regardless of how bad it was. A 3rd party lab was definitely needed.

You either quarterly cleaned/disinfected the in-center RO and portables or if you had an older one like an A-801, there wasn't even a procedure in the book for disinfecting it. I guess you'd just put another membrane in when cultures were elevated.

When I first started nobody even trained me to do a quarterly clean/disinfect on the in-center RO until I had been here about a year. We weren't even touching it, except changing pre-filters and culturing it.

You a DA (dialysis assistant) who made the granuflo, bicarb, did the water checks, held down the fort in the back throughout the day.

You had the RCIT that did the QAI packets, audited everyone's logs, ordered stock, made sure the HMIS label crap was where it needed to be, and went through the MSDS booklet whenever new products came along, kept up with the water source and alternate water supply plan and culture results.

You had a tech supervisor under the ATOM that went and did the leg work for the ATOM. They did the precept training of new employees in both clinical and biomed. They were the mediator between the main boss and biomed techs and filled in whenever a biomed was missing, ordered machine parts, disinfectant, etc.

Reuse was a beast, but it also in certain areas meant another technician, you might have one reuse tech who went between machines and reuse, and another tech that went into acutes and around to smaller clinics, but both would keep a leg in the same home clinic. (At least in my area, can't speak for everyone else.)

I asked a guy just today who has been here since 1994 if things are better or worse since then and he said things have most assuredly just gone down hill.

Granted the H machines had a tougher PM schedule because it was like doing 3 S/A PM's and one annual throughout the year, but the flip side was YOU WERE A MACHINE TECHNICIAN so you were doing like 85% machine work and the 15% everything else, now it's like 10% machines, 10% water, 80% fluff crap. Now, I know that a lot of this needed to be improved, we were way too relaxed about things that were important, and I know CMS cut 30% of the rate for each medicare patient, which led to laying off RCIT's and Supervisors, and I know there was too much time spent driving between clinics, but don't let anyone tell you things were just oh so tough back then, the turnover rate has exploded around here in recent years (and has included older people not just millennials) when many people who worked here in the 90's stuck around for a decade or more easily.

<Old Guy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by philosophical101:
Though I support Unions in some areas and they have historically had a benefit for workers and safety.

Unions have no place in healthcare.

The power of a union is to strike.

Quality of care is intentionally disrupted during a strike.

Grandmas, Grandpas, Moms, Dads, Brothers, Sister, Sons and Daughters receive inadequate care or die during a strike.

Unions in healthcare are bad.

Utilize other more patient friendly ways to achieve your goals.
++

BRAVO SIR!!!! A BRAIN AMUNGST US!!

<Guest>
posted
"a brain amungst us"

Irony.

<nyny>
posted
Funny thing happened recently in NY. Staff members who were with a company that had great union benefits were brought out by Fresenius .They wanted to keep benefits The big F said no. They went on strike and they got to keep all their orginal benefits, CHEAPER HEALTH COSTS AND A REAL PENSION NOT SOME 401K