New
Find
Notify
Tools
Ever wonder WHY???
 Login/Join

<Tippy>
posted
Why is it that most all Dialysis companies have "Nurse's Day", Social Worker's Day, Dialysis Technician's Day, "AA" Day. No BioMed Technician's Day??? How about when Facility Performance bonuses are given the BioMed has to have all of their clinics (some of us cover 3 to 4 clinics) meeting their numbers, if not BioMeds are "penalized" some times receiving 1/2 of the other teammates bonus. When a clinic needs more space the BioMed Room is first to be sacrificed. I have only been sick 2 times in the 15 years I have been with my current company and have never been submitted for the "We Are Here" awards. When a BioMed is on call for 14 clinics for a 2 week period they get 1/2 of what a PD Nurse receives for On Call pay.

And yet I would not change what I do or who I work for because I do it for my patients.

Report This Post
<Dguest>
posted
I here your pain Tippy. Been here for almost 15 years and have never missed a day, ever. Not even an early out. No 'we are here' award. And like you, wouldn't change it for the world. Bills are paid, I'm getting fat so that means my needs are met. It's not about the money, it's all about that bass.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I covered this in a previous discussion:

It's Feb 2nd....Groundhog Day. Because EVERYDAY for us is Groundhog Day. Same s**t as yesterday, same tomorrow, and it'll be there again next week and next month. Everyday when the alarm goes off, we usually wake up to the same exact tasks/issues as we have/will.

But, as you say, we keep getting up and doing it. So I took it upon myself to unofficially name Feb 2nd as Renal Dialysis Biomed Technician Day.

You're welcome. Smiler

Posts: 331 | Location: Upstate, NY | Registered: 11 September 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a truly thankless job. Sat in on a big group corporate call a few months ago. They gave massive accolades to the clinical staff who opened two new clinics in the prior quarter. Not even a single mention of biomed. Felt bad for the guys that spent all that time preparing the machines, water and concentrate systems in those places, on top of regular duties..

:shrug:

<Blomp!>
posted
Like the Meagan Trainor reference Dguest. LOL! The big F....K (lol) finally lumped biomeds in with PCT's so when it's "tech week" the shout goes out to patient techs and biomed techs. This is their way of avoiding having to buy yet another meal for everyone. We have all (almost) come on here and vented about how ignored we are. This is nothing new. I have posted essay-sized ventings on here about it. What it is, is what we do is the "underworkings" of the whole thing and no one wants to pay attention to our not-so-glamorous contributions. We are like the crews that set up stages and sound systems for TV shows. Nobody who works in the background of a TV show or movie gets the same kind of praise and attention as the actors who play the characters. We are also like the guys on the titanic who were shoveling in the coal to keep the engines running while the rich aristocrats sat up on top and sipped their tea. People only want to pay attention to the patient hooked to the machine in the chair, while taking zero regards on how the machine is still running, and on what is coming through all those hoses that connect the machine to the wall (and sadly, some are so out of touch they don't even regard the patient, either). Truth be told if the big wigs, shareholders, and upper management were more educated on how the tap water is purified into RO water, made into acid, bicarb, and down the line, turned into dialysate and pushed through the dialyzer, there would be more "appreciation" for the science of it all. But many in management are there because of business degrees and because they juggle the revenue that rolls in, and as long as you, the stage-hand, keeps everything working behind the curtain, they really don't care. I'll tell you who gets less credit than us, and that would probably be the initial installers who come in when the clinic is an empty shell and set all this stuff up on day one, and much of what they do holds up for decades. These are also the people who do the initial education for us and the clinical staff, especially when a new model of RO or SDS rolls out...but to be fair, they aren't the ones getting awakened at 5 am when it fails.

Report This Post
<Dguest>
posted
Blomp!

I've grown quite fond of 'It's All About That Bass". I prefer the PostModern JukeBox version, you can find it on the You place. Any way, you've said it, I've said, hell most of us have said it. And in the suit parlance, "At the end of the day, All things being equal and, For all intents and purposes, It Is What It Is."

All about that bass

What say we meet up and grab a burger and a beer.

D

Report This Post
<Dguest>
posted
How about this one. "So What" by Pink. replace Rock Star with Biomed and you've got our anthem!!!

D

Report This Post
<guerst>
posted
I thnk what I hate the most is that we do everything all alone. No guidance, no direction, no teamwork, no camaraderie, no supervision, no mentorship, etc. We figure everything out individually. We do our job individually. No recognition, no pats on the back, no attaboys. It is a vacuum.

That is until something goes wrong, like during a state visit, or when the water results come back bad, or you do some overtime by choice or by mistake... makes no difference, or you do something to help a CM that your ATOM hates, or any other crappy thing like that AND THEN you get some special high intensity attention.

Morale? What morale?

Report This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 277 | Location: SD | Registered: 10 October 2005Report This Post
<Recognition>
posted
So you want to get recognized? Get some unapproved overtime , spend too much money on parts , have inaccurate inventory counts , have a high cost per treatment numbers , have too many machine breakdowns , don't answer your phone on weekends or off days , have a dirty water room , get a high water test result and then I guarantee you will be recognized!

I see some of you are there for low pay , no recognition , stress , long hours , on call 24/7 and your still there only for the patients. Well your probably the only one because the company surely is not! Go over your budget and tell them you did it for the patient and see what answer you get. Biomed is a burden to the company not an asset , in their eyes the nurses and pct's are the heart of the company.

Report This Post
<Big BMT>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by guerst:
I thnk what I hate the most is that we do everything all alone. No guidance, no direction, no teamwork, no camaraderie, no supervision, no mentorship, etc. We figure everything out individually. We do our job individually. No recognition, no pats on the back, no attaboys. It is a vacuum.

That is until something goes wrong, like during a state visit, or when the water results come back bad, or you do some overtime by choice or by mistake... makes no difference, or you do something to help a CM that your ATOM hates, or any other crappy thing like that AND THEN you get some special high intensity attention.

Morale? What morale?

You must not work in my area... My fellow biomeds are like a Band of Brothers and we would do anything, and have, to help each other out.

Report This Post
<Guest>
posted
Trust me, you miss something by mistake and everyone knows who you are. Forget the fact that you are already spread out further than you should be for the amount of equipment they want you to cover. Public enemy number one if you miss something or whatever it is that makes them go off.

Report This Post
<Guest>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by guerst:

Can't remember where I heard this, but it seems like it applies to us biomeds sometimes: "The beatings will stop when your morale improves"

Morale? What morale?

Report This Post
<Disgusted>
posted
I can't afford a morale change since the company needs to save up for the next Clinic Manager Private concert!

Report This Post
<guerst>
posted
Big BMT - I agree with you. When I first got hired I was with a couple of guys who were a true team. We were great together. Even got together on our off duty time for drinks, shooting range time, etc. Due to shifting group areas, I am with a different set of guys. All individuals, no teamwork. They would not even know what teamwork smells like.

Report This Post