New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stupid stuff PCT's do
 Login/Join

<Funny>
posted
Once a pct told me she replaced the 9 volt battery because machine kept giving 24 volt low alarm. Here's your sign......

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Mr. Fixit>
posted
I have that happen all teh time. So, how does 9v = 24v low failue????? I usually get, "Education told me". Or, it was leaking out the tube in the back, so I put a clamp on it. Now there is a flow error. MY HEAD HURTS!!!!

<Guest>
posted
Had a clamped vent tube come back to me just the other day.

Me: What happens when you block the exhaust pipe on a car?

PCT: It won't run

Me: So what makes you think it's a good idea to clamp the exhaust pipe on this machine?

PCT: <eyes glaze over>

<guestlk>
posted
had one come back with vent hose tied in a knot!
also had one in an acute were the pct god knows how but they had the machine drain hose in the inlet connector and complained the machine was leaking. Gotta love them.

<Guest 32>
posted
PTC: "All your batteries are dead. I just tried 5 of them and the machine still won't turn on!"

A flip of the power switch cured everything.

<odog>
posted
had one pulled for "leaking" but she put it in disinfect in my room anyway had hole in hose sprayed water on all my walls and books with logs for about an hr before i showed up.

<Remmy>
posted
Machine is failing air detector during test. PCT gets a cup of water and dumps it all over the air detector. I ask what the hell she is doing, tells me that she was taught to do this and she does it all of the time. True story.

<things that make me go hmmm>
posted
Machine will not come up in Temperature even tried different oulets/baths. Yeah as long as the switch is turned off it will never come up.

<bwaaahhaaaa>
posted
Fails optical detector, I cleaned the heparin pump still fails, Try cleaning the "Optical detector" yes had blood on it cleaned and good.

<Guest>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by things that make me go hmmm:
Machine will not come up in Temperature even tried different oulets/baths. Yeah as long as the switch is turned off it will never come up.

I'm guessing that the troubleshooting section of your operator's manuals are like mine and have never been opened, as checking this is one of the first steps when you have a low temp.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Remmy:
Machine is failing air detector during test. PCT gets a cup of water and dumps it all over the air detector. I ask what the hell she is doing, tells me that she was taught to do this and she does it all of the time. True story.

Years ago, that's something a Fresenius training nurse showed our staff but with a syringe of water. The venous chamber of the Combisets was too hard and the ultrsonic sensors didn't "seal".

Chuck

DISCLAIMER : My opinions and views are mine and may not be the same as my employer.

Posts: 1787 | Location: Baltimore, MD USA | Registered: 24 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My favorite ones are always the ones where the PCT states "you never told me that" to which I reply "Is this your signature on my inservice?". Razzer

I cant say too much because I still work as a CHT

Posts: 64 | Registered: 19 November 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Blomp!>
posted
I had a PCT and RN who are actually skilled at what they do to tell me the machine was failing 9V during test. They swapped the 9V out with a new one and it still failed test and whenever you touched the new 9V battery it was "hotter than a fire-cracker". I looked at it and started laughing. They had flipped the 9V battery the wrong way and the metal spring in the back of the cartidge was touching both terminals and shorting out the new battery, making it hot. Needless to say I had to put yet another battery in there the right way, but at least they understood that 9V meant 9V.

My pet peave is they can't figure out which outlet is a GFCI and which is a conventional outlet, even though they're different in color and shape. I got so sick of seeing HD machines plugged into the regular outlets and the chairs/O2 concentrators plugged into the GFCI outlet. Our GFCI are dedicated one breaker to one outlet to keep the machine from overloading the circuit. I've actually had burned wires in the outlet receptacles from them plugging the machines to the conventional outlets which are about 4 outlets per breaker. I finally had to get the label maker and label every single GFCI "Dialysis Machine".

Two of the most annoying things the tx staff have ever done was, take an bic-tip o-ring from a backup machine and instead of leaving the wand dangling in plain sight, they stuck it back in the rinse port. Then when I turned the machine on to disinfect it and walked away for a moment, I came back to a fishing pond. The other thing they got doing was removing the wand-screens if they got lint in them and using the machine without screens. This caused stuff to get hung up in the acid/bic pump heads on the plungers and I had to do a lot of pump rebuilding and calibrating. I started torquing down the back of the wands with pliers to put a stop to that.

And last and most insane, I had another PCT who was a light sleeper and a workaholic who'd come in at like 3am when they weren't supposed to arrive until 5am. She would start bringing the machines up in conductivity, but since she was so early, the RO was still locked out due to the softener being in regeneration still. She would run the storage tank dry until the low level alarm sounded, and to make matters worse, the RO would kick on to flush the brine out of the lines and would also start alarming high TDS (which is normal, there's not supposed to be anyone there to hear it) and she would wake me up panicking. I finally had to change the timers so that all of the tanks went into regneration like an hour earlier, because I just couldn't seem to convince her to come in at a sane hour.

<Biomed3094>
posted
Thanks everybody!! I'm not alone! Eeker

<Pepper>
posted
Let's be nice. I'm sure they have a list of the "stupid things Biomed techs do". Smiler