RenalWEB Home Page    renalweb.groupee.net    RenalWEB Discussion Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Staff Lounge  Hop To Forums  Nurses and Techs    John Oliver rips DaVita and Mayor Thiry a new one
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
John Oliver rips DaVita and Mayor Thiry a new one
 Login/Join

<Seattlite>
posted
John Oliver of HBO's "Last Week Tonight" did a feature on DaVita, CEO aka the mayor Kent Thiry and dialysis in general. He took particular pleasure in dissing the Mayor as the 3rd demented waiter at a Medieval Times and an a**h*l* in a musketeer costume. The biggest hit on the head honcho of the village was a video of Thiry at Harvard where he stated that he has no concern for patients but is more concerned about the 35,000 teammates; and said he runs DaVita the same way he would if he had 1,045 Taco Bells. I guess that would be renal therapy with a choice of mild or hot sauce. The big F got a mention but only in passing as one of two huge for profit companies and the settlement of the gran-u-flo lawsuits. If you don't have HBO sure you can pick up on on one of the streaming services.

Report This Post
<YouTube>
posted

Report This Post
<Guest>
posted
I'm listening to it now. He seems to be pointing out some valid resons. But he is ignoring the fact that clinics have their good sides as well.

Report This Post
<DaVita in the Trump Administration>
posted
President Donald Trump announced on May 4 that he will nominate a former DaVita executive as Assistant Secretary of Health and Human Services for Legislation. Matthew Bassett worked for DaVita from 2006 to 2011, and left the company as Vice President of State Public Policy.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Last thing I care about is the politics of this, but regardless of that, my lord was that a massive kick in the crotch. In the end it may change very little, but the way billions of dollars is spent/wasted should be made public. There has to be a greater incentive for providing options that help our patients feel better, not just stay alive, even if those options are only feasible for a given segment of our patient population IMO.

Posts: 359 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 12 April 2012Report This Post
<Biomed3094>
posted
Geeeez, thinking about going to work for Taco Bell now...

Report This Post
<Guest>
posted
The one thing he seemed to not cover when he was talking about the patient mortality rate was that he didn't seem to include the numbers on how many follow the diest and restrictions. To be honest a good number of the patients we have are becuase they wouldn't follow the restrictions to begin with and thats how they ended up there. Now I am not saying everyone is like that, but there is a very good number that is.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Guest:
The one thing he seemed to not cover when he was talking about the patient mortality rate was that he didn't seem to include the numbers on how many follow the diest and restrictions. To be honest a good number of the patients we have are becuase they wouldn't follow the restrictions to begin with and thats how they ended up there. Now I am not saying everyone is like that, but there is a very good number that is.

There are an enormous number of our patients who could have possibly put off, or avoided dialysis altogether. Fact is, unless someone change an entire culture of a country, diabetes and high blood pressure don't seem to be going anywhere.
That's not to say certain providers aren't working hard at educating potential patients earlier in the ESRD process, with hopes of putting off dialysis, starting them with a fistula, starting them on PD, starting them on home dialysis and certainly covering the benefits of a transplant. All commendable efforts, but may only reach a very small segment of the population. All we can do is try to provide the best care possible when they walk through our doors, cause by that time lectures on what they could have avoided really don't much matter. What many are trying to point out is there seems to be a large incentive for companies and MDs to keep these people on the hamster wheel of in-center dialysis. There will always be non-compliant patients in dialysis, and just about every other form of healthcare, but there is mounting evidence we should be doing a much better job than we are currently.

Posts: 359 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 12 April 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
That's the beauty of cocaine! - ROFLMAO

I drink and I fix machines, it's what I do...

Posts: 155 | Registered: 12 September 2016Report This Post
<Guest>
posted
I agree cane. I am just stating that the current numbers are being hurt by non compliance as well as the fact that people came from non compliance to begin with. Our medical education definitely needs to be increased and followed. This is also coupled with general educaiton as well. If you look at the number of increasing medical issues, They seem to grow as education keeps diminishing. Education before the matter is important. But if you are deciding to commit to something for 3 days a week, you should commit to the lifestyle that comes with it as well. It seems as though some of these people would have the ambulance stop my MCd's on the way to the hospital for an MI. He did have many valid points as to how money is getting squandered in the name of profit. But he should have focused on how people might end up in that situation or offer resources to learn more and become more educated. But the entire medical system and insurance system needs to be overhauled. Both sides of it keep marking up prices at an astronomical rate.

Report This Post
<frog24>
posted
There is no doubt a round table meeting happening right now at Davita. With the CEO trying to formulate a response to John Olivers beautiful piece of artwork.

Report This Post
<Guest>
posted
If this guys mother were on dialysis would it be a different story?

Report This Post
<Cubby>
posted
quote:

It probably would have been worse. For profit dialysis is a problem. There's a line between being profitable and being greedy, and far too often the larger companies cross that line at the expense of the patients and staff. The higher up the corporate ladder you go, the less likely you are to notice this (probably), but the excessive cost cutting measures are very noticeable to staff, patients, and patients family members.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cubby:
quote:

It probably would have been worse. For profit dialysis is a problem. There's a line between being profitable and being greedy, and far too often the larger companies cross that line at the expense of the patients and staff. The higher up the corporate ladder you go, the less likely you are to notice this (probably), but the excessive cost cutting measures are very noticeable to staff, patients, and patients family members.

And this is happening nation/world-wide in different industries. Has been for years. The only difference is instead of just hurting a smaller company's income (as in my previous life), people's health and lives are being negatively impacted. Not sure if there IS a happy medium between "proper" healthcare and corporate greed. But we (in the general sense) appear to be caught between the two.

Maybe a beer (or three) and a cigar will help me to understand this conundrum better. Doubtful, but I can at least try and enjoy the effort...

Posts: 353 | Location: Upstate, NY | Registered: 11 September 2014Report This Post
<Technology>
posted
Dialysis as a whole has not changed since the late 70's. Don't really know about other machines but the F machine has virtually been the same for decades only cheaper parts being used. Every other aspect of medical equipment has gotten better except dialysis machines and dialysis treatment.dialysis is an industry that is in need of an overhaul from top to bottom but will never happen.

Report This Post