RenalWEB Home Page    renalweb.groupee.net    RenalWEB Discussion Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Staff Lounge  Hop To Forums  Nurses and Techs    Clinical staff entitlement
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Clinical staff entitlement
 Login/Join

<vatech>
posted
Why do the clinical staff not use trash cans when they are right next to a trash can. Water room and stock room stay littered with trash.

I have had occasions where people have been training on a machine in the tech area. When stay unwrap a new blood line, the paper wraps end up on the floor. There is a trash can almost touching them! When they bleach machines in the tech area, they simply drop the residual strips on the floor! Plus they leave the bleach bottles unrinsed on the machines for me to take care of.

Rant over...

Report This Post
<vatech>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by vatech:
Why do the clinical staff not use trash cans when they are right next to a trash can. Water room and stock room stay littered with trash.

I have had occasions where people have been training on a machine in the tech area. When stay unwrap a new blood line, the paper wraps end up on the floor. There is a trash can almost touching them! When they bleach machines in the tech area, they simply drop the residual strips on the floor! Plus they leave the bleach bottles unrinsed on the machines for me to take care of.

Rant over...
they instead of stay

Report This Post
<agree>
posted
You know, I've always said that I would hate to see these people's homes and how they live because of this.

When I leave for the day, my office is more or less in the same condition as when I arrived - I don't leave trash laying around, papers on my desk, tools scattered around, Machines open or parts laying about.

My best guess is that it just comes down to a matter of pride and work ethic. You have to have a strong work ethic and some sort of pride in the work that you do to be a biomed, or you won't last...this isn't as true for the floor people.

Report This Post
<Mr. Fixit>
posted
I think they teach that in orientation, because it seems to happen everywhere. I was just thinking about this, I found a wrapper for an RPC strip in a place that they would have had to purposely put it there. It was nowhere near where the sample is drawn and strip used. I also like when they save the strips in a pile like they can use them again when they dry out. Garbage can is next to table they use to do the test

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
A unit that I was Technical director in many years ago was undergoing a JCAHO mock survey. The clinic floor had a lot of paper and caps all over, well of course the surveyor and administrator came to me about it since housekeeping was one of my departments, and proceeded to yell at me about the lousy effort of my housekeepers. I shut them both down by saying talk to the floor staff, there is a garbage can at every station, why should the housekeepers have to sweep every 5 min. Then along comes a pt care tech who drops her stuff on the floor, her response when I pointed it out was "that's their job, if I put it in the garbage, we don't need the housekeepers", everybody's jaw hit the floor except mine!

Posts: 497 | Location: NYC | Registered: 04 November 2011Report This Post
<sloppytech>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by NYHQCTech:
A unit that I was Technical director in many years ago was undergoing a JCAHO mock survey. The clinic floor had a lot of paper and caps all over, well of course the surveyor and administrator came to me about it since housekeeping was one of my departments, and proceeded to yell at me about the lousy effort of my housekeepers. I shut them both down by saying talk to the floor staff, there is a garbage can at every station, why should the housekeepers have to sweep every 5 min. Then along comes a pt care tech who drops her stuff on the floor, her response when I pointed it out was "that's their job, if I put it in the garbage, we don't need the housekeepers", everybody's jaw hit the floor except mine!
"that's their job, if I put it in the garbage, we don't need the housekeepers", "Not my job", "I left a note on the machine for the next shift to pull it" what page in the pct handbook are those quotes on, hear it everywhere.

Report This Post
<Pig wrestler>
posted
I was at a clinic where they used a trash can under the sample port to catch the water during a test. Not only did they never dump the trash can until it was overflowing but they also dropped the strips in it after the test.

Report This Post
<strips>
posted
Strips clogging up the all the sinks, except in the break room...coffee stirrers do a good job on that one!

Report This Post
<Spent>
posted
I like when they use the wall box as a garbage can, pulling strips and caps out of there all the time. No filter like some wall boxes

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
We were having a problem with wall box drains getting clogged. I finally got our facilities in and they opened a few wall panels. Dialyzer caps, saline bag plugs,and 1 even had a tourniquet in it....what the?!?! WHO SAYS "I'm done with this, I'll just put it HERE"?!?!

Posts: 353 | Location: Upstate, NY | Registered: 11 September 2014Report This Post
<vatech>
posted
I have arrived at a conclusion...the clinical staff believes in fairies.

Report This Post
<Guest22>
posted
So glad to find out it's not just my clinical staff that's lazy.

I think it starts with leadership. Of my two full time clinics, the water room in one is clean enough you would almost (almost) want to eat off the floor. The other is a train wreck. I've lost count of the number of times I've held inservices on picking up their own trash. I will usually end up going behind them about once a month and doing a deep clean. By the time I go through there are strips, salt pellets, corners of bicarb and acid bags, etc all laying over the floor. There are usually streaks of dried bicarb on the floor and the acid mixer is a crusty mess.

I hate having to go behind them like they are a bunch of toddlers, but it did pay off once. Came in and cleaned one evening and had the state walk in the next day. The surveyor took one look at the water room through the gate, was satisfied, and didn't dig any deeper other than to watch a PCT do a chlorine check later in the day.

The clinic that's always dirty has had a series of different FAs the past few years who threaten the staff with write ups, but never follow through.

Report This Post
<Guest001>
posted
The one that always confuses me, is when you talk to the PCT's about something they are not doing and they give their favorite excuse "We don't have time" then 15 mins later you walk onto the floor and every PCT is either staring at their phone or a TV with machines all around them alarming. Yeah I can see you guys are overworked and don't have enough time to do your job correctly...

Report This Post
<$$$>
posted
I think it comes down to what they pay the clinical staff. There's no way I would do their job for what they make - not even on a Nurse's salary.

I don't think I would be too motivated to hit a trash can with a strip if I were only making $11/hour.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
If you won't do your job for the salary you accepted, then why did you accept the position in the first place?

Posts: 359 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 12 April 2012Report This Post