RenalWEB Home Page    renalweb.groupee.net    RenalWEB Discussion Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Staff Lounge  Hop To Forums  Nurses and Techs    dialyzer red side up during treatment

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
dialyzer red side up during treatment
 Login/Join

<why?>
posted
Can anyone tell me why you put the red side(of the blood side) up during treatment. We were told we were supposed to but the only reason is that we always did it that way.
thank you!

Report This Post
<pops>
posted
why
i was always told that you get better dialysis if you have counterflow in the dialyzer meaning blood flows one way and the dialysate flows the other direction

disclaimer my views and no one else Razzer

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello,
depending on what kind of blood lines and machines are being used can also determine which end of the dialyzer is up. During the priming portion of the dialyzer, generally the red (arterial) end is up; however; during the first half of the receirculation procedure, the blue side (venous) side is up and then the dialyzer is rotated halway through recirculation to red end up. The flow of the saline is red end to blue; so when the dialyzer is blue end up, air travels to the highest point, which at that time is the venous end. This helps to remove most of the air that is trapped in fibers. Excessive air in or on top of fibers contributes to clotting or fibers not being used and that means sub optimal treatment for patients. Once treatment is initiated on a Reuse dialyzer and the dialyzer is venous end up, the dialyzer should not be rotated to avoid knocking lose an airpocket or renalin pocket.

DianaB

<guest too>
posted
Dialysate enters dialyzer from the bottom or blue end. Red end needs to be up to fill the dialysate compartment to purge air out for optimal clearance but once it is filled, it doesn't matter which end is up.

Report This Post
<StreetDreamS>
posted
I never really thought about "Renalin Pockets" being a possible issue till I read this. Thanks for the great advice.

Report This Post
<Dilaysis Junkie>
posted
Just a heads up..... I have replaced several dialysate lines because of the excessive stress put on the hoses from being inverted.($150 each) We use the T machines and the dialysate hoses are not as rigid as the older models. The outer tubing shell tears right at the hanson due to the stress put on them. The hoses kink after a while and give flow errors. Make sure the hansons (aka dialysate) connectors are always facing toward the floor once you have achieved your prime.

Report This Post