New
Find
Notify
Tools
fluid removal beyond goal
 Login/Join

<mjpc>
posted
A patient consistently gives up 0.3 -0.4 kg of fluid beyond what is programmed into dialysis machines. Curious as to what factors may contribute to this issue, i.e. low albumin, low hgb, etc. Has anyone seen this as a consistent trait in a patient that is not machine specific.(We have tried different machines, so it is not a calibration issue.)

Report This Post
<SUE>
posted
Maybe you are adding too much in to the goal for rinse back/prime?

Report This Post
<Chief Tech>
posted
I sanyone watching this patient weigh in PRE & POST Tx to ensure that it is being done correctly, I have been in dialysis for over twenty years and it is very rare that it would be anything other than human error. Many patients do not weigh in and out with the same clothing on (coats,sweaters,etc...), sometimes they will go to the bathroom after they weigh in or before they weigh out ( if they had a BM they will weigh less...) sometimes they will have a bag hanging from thier wheel chair that can add extra weight during the weigh in pre Tx, and it may get left off the W/C at post weigh out thus creating a 0.3-0.4 diff. There are other reasons such as poor vision, not centered on the scale, etc...etc...

Report This Post