New
Find
Notify
Tools
Drinking while on the dialysis machine
 Login/Join

<Will>
posted
Our dialysis unit does not permit the patients to eat or drink during dialysis. No eating is permitted because of the risk of choking. I can understand that. However, I can't understand the limitation on drinking, especially if my weight gains are within the suggested limits. Is there a medical reason why I can't have an ice cold cup of juice early in the treatment and have the nurses set the machine to take off this extra fluid? It would be a nice reward for watching my weight to enjoy this pleasure. I'm told that "It's always been our policy."
Before I press the issue with the head doctor, I'd like to get any insights you can provide.

Report This Post
<Michael Williams>
posted
Hi Will:

I've never heard of a no-drinking/no-eating policy while on dialysis - and I've visited quite a few clinics.
As you say, any liquids you plan to drink should be factored into the equation to determine how much should be removed during your session.
For many patients, four hours is a long time to go without eating or drinking.
I'll be interested to see other responses.

Mike

Report This Post
<bob>
posted
Sounds like cruel & unusual punishment. We are allowed to eat & drink; our nurses bring us cups of ice and Coke. The 1st Coke is free; #2 is $.50 + a lecture on excess fluid.
I have visited a center that would not give you any ice but had no restrictions on food or drink. Dominos even delivers. I'd look for another center.

Report This Post
<cmd>
posted
My daughther has been on dialysis since she was 19 more than 5 years in Winchester Va. We just found out today that when they move to the new dialysis center next month that they will have a policy that will allow 1 cup of ice nothing to drink and 1 starch ex: 3 sugar cookies or 5 unsalted crakers and 1 fruit that has to be from a can. They do not have such a policy now. We have been to several other facilities while on vacation and have never encountered such a policy before. Tomorrow I will be having her transferred to another center. Torture is right!!

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I just wanted to reply to your question. I can understand your frustration about food and drink policies. One thing you need to know is that diseases such as hepatitis is spread through bodily fluids and being on dialysis and exposed to blood can put you at risk for contracting. It may seen unlikely but, the hepatitis virus can live up to 7-10 days on a dry surface to infect unsuspecting individuals. SO food policies ar meant to protect everyone. Its not only the risk of choking. What if your blood pressure drops and you have a full stomach? You may even aspirate some fluids into you lungs and get pneumonia if you vomit. Many people feel that this policies are put in place to take right away from patients. But in reality its seldom true. Try eating prior to the treatment or on the way home.

<Jerseygirl>
posted
Facilities enforce no eating or drinking on the machine for precisely the reasons presented by Sue. The policy is not meant to be mean or cruel but is for infection control, safeguarding the risk of aspiration, and prevention of aggressive rodents seeking out food particles that may fall into your dialysis chair. We once had a patient that was chewing gun lose their blood pressure, pass out, and almost choked on the wad of gum. Please try to understand that this policy is by no means meant to hurt you, but to protect you. If you eat while on the machine, chances arre your blood pressure will drop as the blood will go to your abdomen to digest the food. The staff need all the blood volume possible to dialyze fluids and electrolytes successfully. Hope this helps with a better understanding of policy. Hepatitis can be life threatening, not to mention all the other bloodbourne pathogens we do not know of yet.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I think this policy is inhumane. While I recognize that infection control and BP problems are an issue, they can be overcome with the right kind of policy. In our unit we give ice and ice water. Anything the patient eats or drinks (other than the above) must be brought in by them and not prepared in the treatment area. We wash each chair thoroughly after each treatment and will give paper towels to patients if needed. We consider that many patients have trouble eating enough protein etc., so restricting them from eating 3 days a week isn't such a good idea. Hope you can find a more compatible center.

Posts: 51 | Location: Mt. Vernon, WA, USA | Registered: 14 December 1999Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been on dialyss for 7 yrs, both in a hospital and at two outlying clinics and had never been restricted in drinking or eating. I doubt if my current clinic would allow a pizza delivery, my concern would be in the nutritional value of the pizza ( cheese and tomatos, lots of Phosphorus and Potassium there) and our unit does only Sprite, since Coke is loaded with Phosphorus. Eating is one thing, thumbing your nose at excess P and K is another. Whats next, a bannan-orange milkshake with a V-8 chaser?

By the way, since im on the machine for 6 hours, my nurses let me get by with a little extra, but i did quit eating on dialysis since it seemed to stimulate my desire for a bowel movement

[This message has been edited by Daniel L. Webster (edited 02-02-2000).]

Posts: 4 | Location: Burlinton, Ky. | Registered: 01 February 2000Report This Post
<Michael Williams>
posted
Hi All:

Have been reading the contributions on this topic with great interest.
It's this kind of dialogue that makes these discussion boards so worthwhile.

Mike

[This message has been edited by Michael Williams (edited 02-03-2000).]

Report This Post
<joannetta>
posted
Hi;

At my Mom's dialysis centre, crushed ice, ice water, nepro (renal nutritional supplement) and sugar-free biscuits are available. From time to time people bring in food or a beverage however it's not very widespread, even though it isn't rescricted.

Cheers, Joanne

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Beginning 5-18-2000 all Gambro units will prohibite all drinking and eating during dialysis.jvenlet

Posts: 3 | Location: Grand Rapids,Mi. USA | Registered: 29 April 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
[addendum to my previous reply.My first reply was not complete.mThe rule from Gambro is;"We will not allow any food to be brought into the treatment room.....You may bring in non-alcoholic beverages in a closed container. The nofood policy includes gum and hard candy.You may bring ice from home in a covered container." The ice machines are being removed. jvenlet

Posts: 3 | Location: Grand Rapids,Mi. USA | Registered: 29 April 2000Report This Post
<Jim Rickel>
posted
On two occasions I have seen the guy next to me eat a banana while on the machine. I just watched stunned and in amazment. I don't think the staff saw what he was eating.

I sometimes eat half a blueberry bagel. Actually the staff has encouraged me to bring stuff since I have the early shift. I never get a chance to eat before hand. They have ice chips and water. I am a little scared to drink on the machines.

Thanks
jim
jrickel@fusionone.com

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I am sorry to hear that your unit is so strict. Ours allows drinks that are factored in and should be renal friendly, and food if you bring your own. In fact we have a volunteer who makes popcorn for those that wish it. For some people eating on the run causes drops in their blood pressure and they discouraged from eating but allowed ice or fluid. I find that I am so hungry by the end of my run, even if I did have lunch, that a snack tides me over until I can make a meal at home. Before you move to another unit you might get claification as to why and suggest a little bit of flex in the policy.

[This message has been edited by Michael Williams (edited 05-02-2000).]

Posts: 31 | Location: Red Deer, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2000Report This Post
<AA'S WIFE>
posted
MY HUSBAND HAS BEEN ON HEMODIALYSIS FOR 22, YES 22YEARS. WE HAVE A UNIT AT HOME. BEFORE HE GETS ON, HE HAS A LARGE MEAL, KINCLUDING DRINK. aND WHEN HE GETS OFF THE MACHINE HE HAS ANOTHER ONE. wHEN HE HAS TO DIALYZE AT THE HOSPITALUNIT FOR ANY REASON, THEIR POLICY IS NO EATING. BUT ICE AND LIQUIDS ARE ALLOWED. aLTHOUGH THIS MAY SEEM CRUEL TO SOME, I PERSONALLY BELIEVE THAT THE POLICY IS A SOUND ONE. aLTHOUGH MY HUSBAND IS A VERY STABLE CASE,HE DID ONCE BECOME LETHARGIC BECAUSE OF AN UNEXPECTED DROP IN HIS PRESSURE. SO I FEEL LEERY OF A DIALYSIS PATIENT WITH A FULL STOMACH. BUT HE IS ADAMANT THAT HE WANTS TOTAKETHE RISK.

Report This Post