New
Find
Notify
Tools
Do I have to do home dialysis
 Login/Join

posted
Hello Everyone

I found out two weeks ago that I needed to start dialysis. I went and got a tube placed in my neck last week and started three days a week. Today the social worker came by and said she was going to have someone call me because she wanted me to start home dialysis. She said my doctor might be mad because she did not talk to him about it first.

The problem is I don't want to do home dialysis. Can I just refuse to do it and say I want to keep going to the center? I live in a very small house and have no room for equipment or to store anything. Plus I just don't like the idea.

Posts: 1 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 13 June 2013Report This Post
<RN>
posted
No, you do not have to do home dialysis, but you should visit with the home department nurse to learn more about the choices avalilable. You may also wish to talk with someone who is doing peritoneal dialysis or home hemodialysis to get their perspective on home dialysis. Many patients do well at home and enjoy the freedom it gives them. Also, diet and fluid restrictions may not be as strict on peritoneal dialysis.

Get some education on these choices before refusing. You may be glad you did! If the Social Worker continues to be 'pushy' about you starting a home therapy, contact your ESRD Network and ask to speak with the Patient Services Representative. Your ESRD Network is Network 13. The patient phone number is (Toll-free): 1.800.472.8664

Report This Post
<RN>
posted
I forgot to mention that the machines used in home dialysis are not large like the ones in center. They would fit on your bedside table.

Report This Post
<guest19>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by RN:
I forgot to mention that the machines used in home dialysis are not large like the ones in center. They would fit on your bedside table.

not everyone uses Nxstage machines!

Report This Post
<RN>
posted
Of course but there are small units for both PD and home HD. Although, storage of supplies may be an issue in a small home.

Report This Post