Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Hair Washing Problem
 Login/Join

posted
My mother-in-law is 87, in a wheelchair, on oxygen, has heart problems and just started dialysis. The nurse said she cannot get the catheter in her neck wet, so we are having trouble trying to figure out how to wash her hair. When I go to the beauty shop, even though they wrap a towel around my neck and put one of those capes on me, my shirt still gets soaked, so I'm reluctant to go that route.

Is there some way to make sure the catheter won't get wet at a beauty shop, or some way we can wash her hair at home while she is in the wheelchair? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

<Vidal>
posted
You can ask if her treatment center can provide a dressing such as Tegaderm which is waterproof. This is not to say she could go scuba diving, but it could provide enough barrier to allow gently hair washing and rinsing. Always ask the doctor for approval, catheter site infections can and will cause death. Also, you can call your local home health supply vendor and ask if they carry the "head shampoo wash in a bag". I used it in the hospital and it works great. You basically wear this shower cap type device that has shampoo in it and it even gets warm. You work it into your hair and when finished you simply towel dry your hair, no water rinse. Or, use a online search engine to find "waterless hair wash"

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much. I'll get on it right away.

<Vidal>
posted
You're very welcome. Check out your local CVS or Walgreen's.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
In case this question comes up in the future, at Walgreens I found NoRinse Shampoo and NoRinse Hair Conditioner. They aren't powder, they are liquid and I plan to apply them with a spray bottle. All of the online reviews for these products were great.

Thanks again, Vidal.

<MicroM>
posted
Aloe Vesta 3-n-1 Cleansing Foam is very good. Can be used for body or hair. It is a no rinse formala and is easy on skin. Available on Amazon.

Report This Post