New
Find
Notify
Tools
dialyzer problems
 Login/Join

<bballer>
posted
I would like to know if anyone else has experienced problems with their dialyzer. A couple of years ago my unit stopped doing reuse and started using dry dialyzers. I knew I was allergic to the dialyzer, so we have been rinsing them with extra saline. No acute reactions. However, last summer I started having health problems. Several respiratory infecttions, including pneumonia, severe anemia, low white count, low platelets. I think it is chronic use of the dialyzer. My doctor disagrees. Anybody have a similar experience?

Report This Post
<btl>
posted
I haven't had your experience but since a patient has the right to request a single use dialyzer, maybe a patient should also have the right to request a reuse dialzyer.

Report This Post
<2short>
posted
I am a chief technician in a thirty station hemodialysis clinic which used to do reuse and now run single use. We have some patients that are sensitive and have reactions to poly sulphone dialyzer membranes and we order special cellulose triacetate dialyzers for these people. another consideration is what type of sterilization is used as there are different types sutch as ethylene oxide gas or gamma irradiation. I hope this helps and I hope You get some cooperation from Your clinic staff. -2short.

Report This Post
<neevetheant>
posted
thanks

Report This Post