New
Find
Notify
Tools
Importance of priming procedure
 Login/Join

<drmurat>
posted
Please let's talk about priming procedures of non-reuse dialyzers.What are the differences between dialyzer priming according to sterilization methods.

Report This Post
<not much?>
posted
Most of the manufacturer literature I've read usually wants a minium of 1000ml of saline primed or pulled thru the dialyzer before use. Some of this during the recirc with UF, at a bfr of 300ml/min.
I believe the only main difference I'm aware of is the potential of first use symptoms is greater with non E-beam sterilization, as there's no sterilant residual.
Hope this helps.

Report This Post
<renalman>
posted
drmurat, Are you looking at the manufacturers' package insert? This would be a place to get the information you need. As the previous post suggests, there is no sterilant, so EtO would not be an issue here. I guess a better question would be...what is YOUR rationale for believing that it should be more than what you are currently practicing. You also have to keep in mind, different companies, facilities may use the same disposables but, have a different procedure for flushing. I believe the e-beam does have the new insert with minimum saline required.

Report This Post
<Jenny>
posted
My company uses e-beam dialyzers.Patient do react to them,even they are not chemically treated.We prime with a 1000cc of saline.

Report This Post
<g girl>
posted
Gambro Polyflux dialyzers only require 500 ml. They are steam sterilized.

Report This Post
<help>
posted
We are being asked to recirc our dry packs Optiflux N160NR's with the UF in off position only. I am unable to find anything in the manufactor insert related to this or safety of same. Could someone enlighten me as to if this is safe for the pt? Is there any down side to this as we are being told to do so in order to save saline cost. We are to prime with a 250 and recirc for 10 with the UF off the C3 in 0 setting? Management is unable to give me any documentation to the safety or if negative consequences of doing so. It's hard to here just we've been doing this at the other clinics with no problems. My manager is reluctant to do this practice and is questioning but ultimate is being told it must be done. Nothing in documentation for policy to date on the new rules so to speak.

Report This Post