New
Find
Notify
Tools
Davita's Reality 101 Program
 Login/Join

<Feterlj>
posted
I have never worked for Davita, but I am aware of their program called "Reality 101". This is program in which newly hired senior executives who have never worked in a dialysis clinic before spend three days working as a patient technician.

When I was working for Renal Ventures, I am not sure that they were using a program like this. In fact I remember the company hired a new regional manager who had excellent management experience, but never worked on the floor before.

I am wondering if any companies other than Davita have a program like this and if not, would they be interested in starting a program like this?

This is the kind of thing that I feel we need in the industry. It shows the management how physically and emotionally demanding the floor can be and how well the PCT's manage their own little world of trying to keep patients comfortable, dealing with frustrated patients, and gives managers something better than feedback from the staff, experience.

Report This Post
<JBell>
posted
I agree completely that this is a program that is needed. It appears that many of the centers don't go the extra mile to ensure the patients and family understand the process and know what to expect. I'd be interested if there are any programs like this or if anyone has developed a program for the families.

Report This Post
<Bklyngirl>
posted
How do I start a 101 day at my facility. Every disipline feels they work harder or better than the other. Great way for all to learn its not always greener on the otherside !

Report This Post
<Guest>
posted
As a part of the orientation process, we require the PCT and RN to be a patient for a week. They are "attached" to a machine and are required to sit thru a 4 hour treatment during which staff 'treat' (or mistreat) them for hypotension, the need for a bedpan, late on and off, etc. The objective is to let new staff see what the patient experiences and hopefully, teach them empathy.

Report This Post
<Feterlj>
posted
Wow, that is a quite amazing orientation program that the Guest above has. Would be nice to have an imitation fistula and piece of artificial flesh that could be placed on the employees arm so the employee could actually have the tubing "connected".

And Bklyngirl, I know exactly what you mean. I have worked as a Biomed, PCT, and done some other little jobs around the facility, and right now I am working on getting my management degree. I am just glad that I got the opportunity to work at the low-level before I pursue the high-level positions. I do not represent the 101 program, but I would recommend starting by getting positive and negative feedback from everyone if you have not so you know what times and dates the "other discipline" should work, so the other discipline is not working on a really bad day or a really good day. (Try to chose the days that are usually average in difficulty, if there even is one in this business). It seems like the PCT's want to put on a show when the "Higher-ups" are around, which should be avoided in my opinion. I could write a book on my opinions, but I think I will end it here, good luck!

Report This Post
<North>
posted
We try to have new staff adopt the recommended diet for a hemo patient for a week to give them a sense of what it is like for the patient.
I have done it and must say I did not enjoy. Very bland, and I had to give up strawberries which I really like. Give it a try see what you think. It is a lot harder than it sounds.

Report This Post