New
Find
Notify
Tools
FINANCIAL INCENTIVES
 Login/Join

<lee>
posted
HAS ANYONE OUT THERE EXPERIENCED THIS SCENARIO????????????????????????????
WHERE HAVE ALL THE NURSES GONE !!
TURN OVER AT MY LAST CENTER WAS 75% IN ONE
YEAR. WHERE ARE ALL OF THE STUDIES-WHY DO
NURSES QUIT?? WHAT IS MANAGEMENT DOING TO
RETAIN/RATHER THAN RUN OFF THE NURSES??? WHO TRAINS MANAGEMENT???-I MOSTLY SEE THE "sink or swim"-promote you to a level of inadequacy. IT IS TAG YOU'RE IT FOR CHARGE NURSES AND NO ONE TRAINS MANAGERS ABOVE THEM. IT COST THOUSANDS TO TRAIN AND NEW NURSES ARE NOT "at peak function" FOR AT LEAST 8-12 months. I HAVE SEEN NO PROGRAMS FOR RETENTION AND OLDER NURSES ARE PUSHED OUT. SO WHAT'S THE STORY WHERE YOU WORK???

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
We are a hospital owned and operated clinic. I think our nurse turnover for the last year was zero except for the manager, who relocated. Our nurses are very well paid and receive good benefits. They do work hard, but they have it better here than at the for profits, and they know it.

Posts: 210 | Location: Mountain View, CA | Registered: 19 October 2004Report This Post
<Provider Reimbursement Solutions>
posted
The shortage in the nursing industry is wide spread. The issue that Dialysis centers have is that in some cases, they are competing with the acute hospital centers, which are able to pay them higher wages. Since the economies of scale are different between a freestanding unit and a hospital, the hospital is able to offset their higher nursing costs in the other cost centers in the hospital. The stand alone center is not able to enjoy this benefit. The cost offset is absorbed into the other units and departments of that hospital.

Freestanding Dialysis centers are then forced to pay a higher wage to compete. They also offer bonus incentives, and perks. It may also be worth mentioning that the Medicare reimbursement rate is about $4 higher than it is for freestanding centers for the chronic modality.

Report This Post
<shelly>
posted
I can tell you why there are turnovers in our area (Texas Panhandle). FMC is working us like slaves. If they weren't helping with my graduate school tuition, I would seriously consider leaving. I have been at my same position (charge nurse)for 12 years, and I have carried a heavier workload every year.When re-use was dc'd, they kept the equipment tech, and fired an RN. Also, more nursing duties are evolving. No one is ever available for back-up. When we had 1 tech off due to injury, our other tech had to call in sick, and that left 1 CM 1 RN and 1 ET to care for patients. If there had been the need, we couldn't have even done CPR adequately. No unit secretary is allowed. I am currently expected to be the preceptor for the new PCT (which I really enjoy, if I can get adequate time), but I still have to give meds,enter proton orders, order meds, weekly med reports, care for 4-5 patients x 3 shifts, be in charge of 8-10 patients x 3 shifts, assist with office visits, feet check documentation, access flow documentation, etc. and help answer telephones with our all-important "telephone etiquiette" training. After the new PCT is trained, FMC thinks that we will be fully staffed. She is replacing a tech that had worked for 15 years in dialysis. How can that be? If you want to keep employees, you have to show them that you care! Don't overwhelm them.

Report This Post
<Icanrelate>
posted
Shelly, I can relate to what your saying. I am so tired of hearing about TAP

Report This Post
<Provider Reimbursement Solutions>
posted
You may consider seeking another company. There is another major Dialysis company in that area.

Report This Post
<acasualobserver>
posted
shelly you are bitching about working like a slave for FMC yet in the same breath you say you are in grad school and FMC is helping with the tution. Did you ever stop to think maybe you are driving yourself so hard with work and school? Heck that company is helping to pay your grad school tution so you can better yourself, that does not sound like a slaveholder to me. Look at your own issues and then pook a hole in your employer, if that hole is still there after you do a self review. I suspect you work so hard because you are good nurse, with some stress in play right now.

Report This Post
<notsocasual>
posted
Obviously, you don't work for FMC.

Report This Post
<shelly>
posted
I am a good nurse. I am going to grad school to help improve myself further, and to improve my working conditions. School is not a stressor. I enjoy the learning process. My massive responsibility at work is a huge STRESS. FMC does not care about the fact that our staff is working 14-15 hr. days with miniscule breaks. FMC doesn't care that there is no one to call if someone is sick. FMC doesn't care! The least they can do is help pay my tuition. They have taken advantage of me for years. There is never any coverage available for vacations. If I request a holiday off, it is too bad for the rest of the staff, they just have to work shorthanded. I have been with them for 12 1/2 years. This should be enough for a holiday off with my family every now and then.

Report This Post
<Guest>
posted
Is this really FMC or is it your immediate supervisor not willing to correct the situation? Have you spoken to your Regional administrator or your HR department?

Report This Post
<1234>
posted
Shelly i am not tring to sound like this but 12 1/2 years ago when you started in the dialysis feild did you not realize that you had joined the medical feild and there is never a holiday for us the staff. And as far as having to pick up the slack for people calling out that happens in every work place environment and if you dont like working for that company there are other decisions that you could make like changing jobs you should be doing this because you want to do it not because you have to.

Report This Post
<gettinglesscasual>
posted
You people who don't work for FMC or Davita don't get it. This is their MO. I've seen this more often than not ( Shelly's situation ).

Report This Post
<Eman>
posted
Shelly hit it right on the head. Davita and FMC give all these incentives to management to work with less and it trickles down to staff that work in clinics both chronic and acutes. When you finally leave then they do something about it and find travelers to come fill positions.

Report This Post
<$$$$>
posted
I just resigned my position in dialysis as not only an RN but because I was manipulated into the clinical manager position when the administrator fired the previous manager. I was hired for acutes but got stuck in chronics as not only the manager but most of the time the only RN in the unit therefore was working the floor 4-6 days aweek as the only licensed in the building. I kept hearing "It will get better it will get better". Well it didnt, they couldnt find nurses in my area as it turns out the administrator's reputation proceeds her. Yet after over a year of this I finally put in my resignation and guess what it wasnt 2 days she had 3 other RN's hired for staffing. Whats that tell you. Well the dialysis field just lost a very good RN and a hard working one. I worked total for this company over 16 months and not one day called in. When the administrators lack respect for thier employees with the "I"m the Boss" attitude then they need to look deep into thierselves as to why they cant keep staff. She did enough to burn me from ever wanting to work in dialysis again.

Report This Post
<FreakyTECH>
posted
All parts of the business treat workers like shelly the same way. They figure they could treat you like dirt; since, your still their it must not be that bad.

Report This Post