New
Find
Notify
Tools
REDY SORBENT TECHNOLOGY
 Login/Join

<old school>
posted
Recently read that FRESENIUS bought the sorbent technology and will roll out their version later this year..Clearly this was the original portable dialysis machine..I believe it is far superior than the NXSTAGE WHAT DO OTHERS THINK WHO HAVE USED THE SORBENT TECHNOLOGY?

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have extensive experience both clinically and technically with the REDY machine. Its main use was for performing acute treatments in an ICU where back then, you typically didn't have a water source for a portable RO. Because of its limitations for treatment length and DFR, it really didn't do much more than just enough to keep the patient alive. The sorbent cartridge was also VERY expensive (about $75) and frequently had to be replaced before the end of treatment if the patient was realitively uremic. The cartridge was also non-selective on what it removed from the "dirty" dialysate so the calcium and magnesium had to be continuously replaced by an infusate pump.

From what I read, the new machine can run longer treatments and I'm sure they improved the limited alarm/safety systems of the REDY but, I doubt they did anything to make the cartridges cost effective for chronic use.

Chuck

DISCLAIMER : My opinions and views are mine and may not be the same as my employer.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Baltimore, MD USA | Registered: 24 October 2001Report This Post
<old school>
posted
Hey Chuck,I here you, BUT I hope that the issues that you brought up have been changed.I really loved the REDY and never had any problems after I mastered the infusate pump .PS we used it for acute and chronic patients in the NAVY

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
When you say "in the NAVY", why do I get a Village People disco flashback?

BTW, it looks like I won't be seeing you in Vegas this year.

Chuck

DISCLAIMER : My opinions and views are mine and may not be the same as my employer.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Baltimore, MD USA | Registered: 24 October 2001Report This Post
<dave>
posted
I was a contract tech when it was CCI Life Systems in Van Nuys. Now I feel really old.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Ah, the old "Sorbsystem". A sure upgrade from the old Travenol tub; limited but handy.
Spent a few nights in the ICUs @ Portsmouth and Bethesda Naval Hospitals pushing those machines.

<old school>
posted
HEY,SMILER were you an 8433 in The Navy?

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes sir..........

<old school>
posted
Hey, Smiler Bethesda 1975 1979 Balboa 1979-1983 How about you..Still in the game 8433 Transplantation Technician

Report This Post
<jjrunning>
posted
old school, hope you see this....is this Woody Rawls

Report This Post
<old school>
posted
This is me ,Jerry still working in the field.lOOKING forward to RETIREMENT in about 3-5 yrs

Report This Post
<Dialysisjoe>
posted
I've been waiting, with bated breath, for the return of a sorbent machine. Frankly, I don't know what FMC is waiting on. It's not like it's new technology, as I've used RM's when Organon had the technology, which was then sold to Gambro, who killed it. The rebirth of the improved machine in Pennsylvania was exciting, until FMC got their hooks into it. Now, it seems to have stalled.

Beyond the old amonia problems, it was a great and truly portable machine. FMC certainly has the money to complete the project and bring it to market. And, although I'm no fan of FMC, I respect their business sense. Sorbent dialysis is time tested and should be able to be updated, without too much difficulty. Sometimes, it's a matter of being willing to carry the project through to completetion. This is one project where I'm wishing FMC well.

Report This Post