New
Find
Notify
Tools
Baxter or Fresenius cyclers?
 Login/Join

<newhdmgr>
posted
My in-hospital dialysis unit will soon be taking over PD. We are looking to purchase cyclers and I was wondering which is better, Baxter or Fresenius?

Report This Post
<biomed guy>
posted
I have worked with both, I was in charge of all the home hemo and pd equip. and helping the patients get the repairs and replacements they needed. Baxter was by far the best cylcler and they would provide replacement for patients much faster.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Until this past week I had used a Baxter cycler for the last 3 years. While the Fresenius has more "bells and whistles" and "glam", it is inferior to Baxter's cycler imho. I would go back to the Baxter cycler but have no choice in the matter (aside from traveling out of town to another dialysis center and acquiring a new nephrologist...which isn't financially feasible for me) As I told the PD nurse....I see the Fresenius cycler aka Liberty cycler as an unfinished thought.

Posts: 1 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 05 February 2011Report This Post
<schwarja>
posted
I was on a Baxter cycler for about six months before my clinic switched to Fresenius.The Baxter unit gave NO trouble. Since changing to Fresenius, I have had nothing but problems. I'm on about my sixth unit--quality control is sketchy at best. I've had false alarms and units that sounded like stone crushers. Worst of all is technical support. Two different diagnoses (both wrong) from two different technicians.In the meantime, muggins here has missed an overnight treatment.

The clinic encourages me to complain, but otherwise doesn't get involved.I imagine Fresenius makes more money using their own equipment and supplies, but it is the patient who suffers.

Report This Post
<Mike_NC>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by schwarja:
I was on a Baxter cycler for about six months before my clinic switched to Fresenius.The Baxter unit gave NO trouble. Since changing to Fresenius, I have had nothing but problems. I'm on about my sixth unit--quality control is sketchy at best. I've had false alarms and units that sounded like stone crushers. Worst of all is technical support. Two different diagnoses (both wrong) from two different technicians.In the meantime, muggins here has missed an overnight treatment.

The clinic encourages me to complain, but otherwise doesn't get involved.I imagine Fresenius makes more money using their own equipment and supplies, but it is the patient who suffers.

I'm in pretty much the same situation with my clinic. I also have had issues with technical support. With the Baxter cycler, over a 3 1/2 yr period, their tech support was always on the ball. Not that I had to call them more than once or twice.
I'm presently on my 3rd Fresenius cycler, in 3 months time, and was informed today that I will be getting yet another supposedly updated machine. It is supposed to be 'less sensitive' and will include a manual drain which I need due to catheter position. I will be part of a test group for this new machine but hold little faith in this one being any better than the previous versions I've had. Baxter is hands down the superior cycler. I was also informed today that the number of patients diagnosed with peritonitis has grown substantially since the change from Baxter to Fresenius cyclers. The nurse and Dr confirmed that the germ identified as the culprit was not from an outside source such as touching the catheter or otherwise mishandling the procedure of connecting/disconnecting from the cycler. They are apparently coming from the bowels. She said that in her 18 years at my clinic, she had not seen this rate of patients affected by peritonitis. Not very comforting at all. Seeking another clinic that uses Baxter cyclers may become a necessity regardless of what I have to do come up with the finances to to travel out of town to another clinic. After almost 4 years of successful treatment with Fresenius (on Baxter cycler), I am beginning to feel that they ( Fresenius) are not looking out for the best interest of the patients, but rather the best interest of themselves, financially speaking.

Report This Post