RenalWEB Home Page    renalweb.groupee.net    RenalWEB Discussion Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Nursing / Patient Care Issues  Hop To Forums  Vascular Access    Buttonhole Technique for Graft Access

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Buttonhole Technique for Graft Access
 Login/Join

posted
Hello,

I am interested in finding out why the buttonhole technique is not used in PTFE grafts.

I have found suggested reasons why the material is not suitable such as the thin and weak construction of PTFE grafts.

There is also predicted complications such as one site itis as the graft can repair itself like the buttonhole track.

Has anybody tried to buttonhole a graft or do they know of any papers describing the outcome of independent studies which tried to buttonhole a graft?

thanks for reading this and I look forward to hearing back.

Posts: 1 | Location: Aberdeen, Scotland | Registered: 15 September 2008Report This Post
<Guest>
posted
Once a hole is punctured in a synthetic graft, it remains there, it does not repair itself. Therefore, every time the graft is stuck in that same spot, it would eventually make the hole larger, and there would be leakage around the entrance site. Repeatedly sticking in the same "area" will make numerous holes in the graft, and will cause a pseudo-aneurism, so the sites must be rotated to extend the life of the graft.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with guest on this one. Furthermore, the buttonhole technique only works on fistulas because epithelial tissue forms the tract, and this does not occur in grafts.