Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Fistula vein shrinks?
 Login/Join

posted
Have never yet had hemodialysis. Saw a YouTube vid where the poor lady looked like she had a garden hose under her skin. I guess that it was what I further read about a fistula making the vein bigger for easier access by needles. Does it at least shrink back some soon after treatment is done or does one walk around forever with people staring at them when they wear short-sleeved shirts?

<kokomojo>
posted
asked the CM at the clinic I am at and they said that any shrinkage will be minimal so yes be prepared for staring

disclaimer my thoughts and not the bossess

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Guess I'll just have to tell folks that it's an extra muscle that they don't have and I got it from arm wrestling. LOL

<Nurse>
posted
There will be no shrinkage. But not all fistulas develop into garden hose size, so yours may never have that appearance.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you. It's not that I go around staring at people's arms but one would think that, with all the thousands of people on hemo, I'd have seen at least ONE with a garden hose but I haven't. Nonetheless, I hope I can convince my nephrologist to let me do the"catheter in the chest" thing.

<kokomojo>
posted
from my expierence they will only use the catheter until your arm access heals up and is ready for use caths are prone to infection etc
leastways that what ive been led to believe but by all means consult with your nephrologist

disclaimer my thoughts and not the bossess

Report This Post
<D.Pascoe>
posted
I haven't known of any shrinking but I have seen them expand to very large size and have to be surgically removed. This perhaps is cause by being pierced by needles for too many years. I've been told that they don't last indefinitely and have known several people who had to have them redone.

Report This Post