New
Find
Notify
Tools
chlorascrub reactions
 Login/Join

<Katana>
posted
We started using Chlorascrup for our access prep method and we are having quit a few skin reactions to this product. What are you using? Are you having similar problems? What product do you prefer?

Report This Post
<spectrumguy>
posted
We are a hospital and use the Chloraprep. swabs. They are a chlorahexadrine formulation. I have not seen andy problems in the hospital acute setting.

Report This Post
<SUE>
posted
both Chlorascrub and Chloraprep are Chlorhexidine products but Chloraprep has a lower percentage at 2%. I think Chlorascrub has 3%. 2% is the preferred concentration by CDC Guidelines. Might be that the patients are sensitive to the extra CHG.

Report This Post
<Dialysis RN>
posted
CHG reactions are not unusual with long-term dialysis CVC catheters unfortunately. A better alternative would be sodium hypochlorite, manufactured by Alcavis. This product does not sensitize or irritate the patient's skin. Of more benefit, it is compatible with ALL catheter materials, along with a quick and effective kill rate. CDC only mandates the antiseptic you use on the catheter and skin, is compatible.

Report This Post
<Sunny>
posted
We use Exsept (sodium hypochlorite) now for exit site care and scrubbing the ends of our caths prior to connect/disconnect. We have requested product samples from chloraprep as we have recieved info that chlorhexidine has bettr antimicrobial properties than exsept. I also would be interested to hear from others if there has been skin irritation from chloraprep.

Also, I would like to know if you use a chlorhexidine solution to scrub cath ends prior to connect/disconnect and if so, which product you use.

We are also considering the use of tegaderm chg with the antimicrobial gel pad. Does anyone use these? They seem awesome and dressing changes are only required one time/week providing no other complications exist so lots less exposure for the patient. They are a little pricey, but I think they will pay for themselves with less supplies and labor costs. Any opinions on them?

Thanks!

Report This Post
<!!>
posted
Except is not strong enough for scrubbing caps, it is intended as a skin prep. The same company makes a different solution called Alcavis. Read the instructions on the Except bottle, and track your infections. You may find that the Except is not doing a good job on the caps.

Report This Post
<Guest>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by !!:
Except is not strong enough for scrubbing caps, it is intended as a skin prep. The same company makes a different solution called Alcavis. Read the instructions on the Except bottle, and track your infections. You may find that the Except is not doing a good job on the caps.

I agree.

Report This Post