RenalWEB Home Page    renalweb.groupee.net    RenalWEB Discussion Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Nursing / Patient Care Issues  Hop To Forums  Vascular Access    Accuvein Infrared Illuminator help with AVF cannulation

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Accuvein Infrared Illuminator help with AVF cannulation
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone have experience using an infrared vein illuminator for fistula cannulation? We have a nephrologist who is interested in purchasing one. While working in Infusion Center with apheresis patients with AVFs we tried it, but I seem to remember it was not helpful.. and I am wondering a) have you had any success? and b) why it may not work on fistulas? The manufacturer was unable to tell me much except that use on dialysis fistulas was not in the Indications for Use. They did tell me that the illuminator cannot visualize vasculature deeper than 10mm - but most AVFs are 6mm deep or less... We think maybe it has to do with the oxygenation of the blood? Any experience or tips or comments are welcome!