New
Find
Notify
Tools
AP and VP during treatment
 Login/Join

<LLC>
posted
What would a consistent -50AP and 240VP be indicative of on a buttonhole site? There is a bit of back pressure upon venous cannulation, but otherwise no resistance in getting the cannula in the tunnel

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
If the sticks are good, a venous stenosis.

Chuck

DISCLAIMER : My opinions and views are mine and may not be the same as my employer.

Posts: 1767 | Location: Baltimore, MD USA | Registered: 24 October 2001Report This Post
<Mark>
posted
A stenosis between the needles.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
This high venous pressure with back pressure when inserting the needles would indicated outflow, venous stenosis. Does this person have prolonged bleeding post treatment? This would be anything greater than 5-10 post needle removal.

What was the blood flow rate set at when you recorded these numbers.

Your arterial pressures seem low, which would also indicate an inflow, arterial issue.

<old school>
posted
Tish, you are correct.We need more Access detectives in the clinic who are trained to do good physical assessements of accesses PRIOR to cannulation. This is paramount for a great Access program.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your arterial pressures seem low, which would also indicate an inflow, arterial issue.

Actually, the opposite is true. A -50 AP by itself would indicate very good inflow. When coupled with a likely venous (outflow) stenosis it really has little meaning.

A very easy way to verify a venous stenosis is to clamp the arterial bloodline prior to the saline T, give a 200cc bolus of NSS, remove the clamp and watch the arterial line for color change.

Chuck

DISCLAIMER : My opinions and views are mine and may not be the same as my employer.

Posts: 1767 | Location: Baltimore, MD USA | Registered: 24 October 2001Report This Post