Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

no pressure in circuit...
 Login/Join

posted
I had a machine pulled this morning because when the patient was hooked up the blood pump was spinning but we were unable to get the blood out of the patient and into the circuit. The pressures for arterial and venous were at 0.

I suspected maybe a needle stick issue or a circuit issue because I just calibrated the arterial and venous pressure on the machine because the night before because it was giving weird pressures on a different patient.

Instead of adjusting needles or the circuit we swapped the machine and used the same circuit because no blood made it that far. Same circuit, same needles (not adjusted) and same patient with a new machine and there were no issues.

So my question is where should I start looking to identify the cause of these rogue pressures. I have already calibrated the arterial and venous with the 90xl and I have inspected the transducers on the inside and they don't appear to be wet. Any ideas?

Posts: 46 | Registered: 21 November 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<ohthepressure>
posted
verify tubing segment size on blood pump display, check blood pump rotor and perform occlusion test.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the blood pump rotor to me.

Posts: 236 | Registered: 15 April 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<omg>
posted
I will check the pump occlusion. it already gives you the idea why arterial pressure is zero if it is hooked up to the patient it should give you a negative pressure and if there is a needling problem it will either introduce air or they will get extremely negative arterial pressure alarm.

posted Hide Post
Was the blood pump tubing air locked?

These opinions are my own and not of my employer.

Posts: 708 | Location: Buffalo, NY | Registered: 14 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Rotor boy>
posted
It sounds like the blood pump rotor. Take it out and make sure the roller springs are still providing tension. The arterial and venous pressures both being zero tells me the rotor is not physically providing the peristaltic action to move the blood. The old C3's use to have a tool you could use to measure min/max occlusion space.