New
Find
Notify
Tools
JCAHO inspection
 Login/Join

<JCAHO>
posted
Does JCAHO inspect big F&D? I thought JCAHO only inspect the hospitals and the clinics associate to the hospital.

Report This Post
<Whistleblower>
posted
To my knowledge, JACHO and state inspections are different, but they are conducted by the same inspectors. Also, if you have an acute unit the state can inspect it w/ your incenter clinic inspection, and a JACHO inspection will include the acute unit if in the hospital. I have been thru a few, they didn't seem concerned w/ dialysis too much

Report This Post
<D yes>
posted
Yes, I work for F and have an acute setting in a hospital. JCAHO does do inspections on us.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
JC is optional; the facility has to request and pay for the JC inspection. The state will have some type of mandatory inspection that varies by state. Some states, being very busy, will accept the JC inspection in place of their own.

Posts: 92 | Location: SD | Registered: 10 October 2005Report This Post
<Tom W>
posted
JCAHO is now known as TJC. The Joint Commission

Just an FYI

Report This Post
<jdbiomed>
posted
Whistleblower, in NYS I don't think that JCAHO and DOH inspections are done by the same people.

Report This Post
<JCAHO>
posted
The reason I asked was, my outpatient unit had never been inspected by JCAHO, only was inspected by the state. Recently, my unit was sold to F. They come in and prepare for the JCAHO. I am wondering why they do that, my outpatient unit was just passed by the state last month.

My inpatient unit in the hospital is inspected by JCAHO though, never been by the state.

Report This Post
<1234>
posted
If the hospital gets reiumbursed from Medicare then you more then likely will see CMS do inspections of the hospital that could include the dialysis inside the hospital. Remember the hospital pays JCAHO to give them credibility but at the end of the day they still have to be mandated by the CMS standards.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The DOH inspection is for Outpatient Dialysis only. JCAHO is for Hospitals, inpatient and outpatient units, it's mandatory (critical care area), though they won't spend a lot of time (1-2 hrs) and usually save you for the 3 or 4 day. JCAHO will just look at your cultures, maintenance(PM's), walk thru (eliminate clutter and clean up), no corrug. cardbd in clean utility rooms, fire and electrical safety. DOH is much more thorough. And if you have a mixed, acute chronic unit, they will watch what is done in the acute.

Posts: 273 | Location: NYC | Registered: 04 November 2011Report This Post
<spectrumguy>
posted
I am running into the same batle in my hospital. I can not get the higher ups to comply with all of the standards out there for best practice. since teh Joint Commision is the one they really cont on and they do not spend any significant time in our area, they just do not seem to care.Is there any docmentation out there that says an independent hospital dialysis program should comply with all CMS,AAMI, and JCAHO standards? I need something more to present to the powers at be.

Report This Post
<ETBS>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by spectrumguy:
I am running into the same batle in my hospital. I can not get the higher ups to comply with all of the standards out there for best practice. since teh Joint Commision is the one they really cont on and they do not spend any significant time in our area, they just do not seem to care.Is there any docmentation out there that says an independent hospital dialysis program should comply with all CMS,AAMI, and JCAHO standards? I need something more to present to the powers at be.

Jcaho enforces aami guidelines.
Cms follows federal and state esrd regulations.
Either entity can survey a hospital.
If your company has an acute unit treating patients you have in a chronic clinic near by JCAHO will more than likely come to the chronic facility and take a look.
Remember most JCAHO use to be nurses. The ones around my area use to be dialysis nurses. Usually, JCAHO inspectors do not know much about dialysis. However, thats not true in mu situation.
You can pay to be jcaho accredited but they can send any approved accredited organization they want to make sure you are providing safe healthcare.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Check with your local ESRD network office.

You guys have never had an article 28 (DOH outpatient survey)?

Posts: 273 | Location: NYC | Registered: 04 November 2011Report This Post
<Whistleblower>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by jdbiomed:
Whistleblower, in NYS I don't think that JCAHO and DOH inspections are done by the same people.
Maybe it has changed, but a few years ago, our state, DOH inspector also did the JC inspection at the hospital

Report This Post