Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Fleck Head Trouble
 Login/Join

posted
I have a water softener with a fleck 2850 head that seems to be giving me some trouble. I thought my resin was fouled so I did the re-bed only to have a >10 delta pressure within days. I can feel a large amount of water running through the drain line while the tank is in the service position. I'm no expert but I thought we shouldn't have drain flow while I'm in the service position. Any idea? I know the media is good but I can't figure out why I have such a large pressure drop. Thanks to all. Cane

<h2otech>
posted
My guess would be you need to rebuild the head. This should be done with the rebed each time.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Might just need a spacer/o-ring kit. Most of the times that I've had problems with the timer head, it was because one of the spacers broke.

<Cane>
posted
Head was rebuilt already.

Report This Post
<Pepper>
posted
Check the actual position of the piston when in service mode. Compare it to a working head if possible. The piston can become out of sync with the clock motor if you spin the timer manualy too fast. The rod should be all of the way out in service mode. To correct it, keep moving the timer manualy until the rod is all of the way out, then unplug the power and move the timer to it's correct service position, (switch in the notch).

Report This Post
<spacer/oring kit>
posted
Cane , even though you have rebuilt the head already something is not right with it. I would be almost positive that if you have water going down the drain the spacer and seals kit you put in might not be in correct(missing an oring or its not making a seal). Open the head back up and check your seals and spacers again. The pressure drop is probally from the water going down the drain.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spacer/oring kit:
Cane , even though you have rebuilt the head already something is not right with it. I would be almost positive that if you have water going down the drain the spacer and seals kit you put in might not be in correct(missing an oring or its not making a seal). Open the head back up and check your seals and spacers again. The pressure drop is probally from the water going down the drain.

Ditto !

<Andy>
posted
Everytime that's happened to me we had to go in and replace all those orings and spacer rings. These guy are right. It's a little bit of a pain, but what can you do?

Report This Post
<Cane>
posted
I've rebuilt the head twice. I appreciate people posting the same thing, but I already thought of that.

Report This Post
<?>
posted
did you check the piston , o-ring or scratched paint?

Report This Post
<Guest>
posted
I would probably try the piston or the cam that drives the piston next. If the piston isn't going in correctly, it could be the cam. Make sure it turns correctly and make sure it isn't upside down.

Report This Post
<Pepper>
posted
I agree with the previous post assuming the head was re-built correctly. As I said earlier, it is easy to get the piston out of sync with the timer wheel if you turn the wheel when power is off or turn it too fast with power on, Check the physical position of the piston and cam. It should be the same as your carbon tank head when in the "normal" mode, (switch on timer wheel in notch).

Report This Post
<Guest>
posted
your timer is 180 degrees out of phase. Reset to proper home position and you should be good to go.

Report This Post
<water on the brain>
posted
could your brine injector on top of your head be shot

Report This Post
<Guest>
posted
I had a softener head that the ridge where the 1 sill set was worn off just a little but it let water leek to the drain. So if you take it off again to rebuild check that.

Report This Post