New
Find
Notify
Tools
tech duties??
 Login/Join

<techof3>
posted
Hi, I have been working as a dialysis tech for a total of 8 years my job duties are RO,machine maintaince, labs,stock,helping with pt,everything short of sticking/giving meds. Ga is going to pass dialysis tech (any one providing dialysis care) to be cert.but they droped the pt care tech, and calling as dialysis tech. can any one tell me ,does other machine/reuse/tech have and how much pt contact do they do .thanks techof3

Report This Post
<Atlanta Tech>
posted
Back in the day of single clinic responsibilities and hourly pay. My job description was "POL", painting, odd jobs and landscaping. Or more plainly, "duties as assigned". Key word, "hourly pay".

Report This Post
<Darnerdee CHT>
posted
Sounds like they're trying to get there moneys worth.....Just stick to it bud....We all have to do these things....I don't have to help with PT off hand, but I would if it helps me to keep my job....I've been in this business for 12 years and I've seen a lot of changes....I'm the only Tech at this Clinic and we're doing pretty good. I'm happy with the way things are running for now....Don't worry about it, just do the job.....It could be worse......Think about it.....

Report This Post
<westcoastech>
posted
Depends on what you accept and the conditions you tolerate. Some places are duty specific, and others, especially large corps would use illegal immigrants doing everything under the sun for $5/hr if they could. Just know your own limits and stick to your guns. If pt care is what you like, focus there. If maintenance is your area, try it. Diversity is great, but be careful of getting taking advantage of. If your philosophy is that you get paid hourly, you'll do anything, be prepared to be the "catch all". techof3, sounds like management is grinning, and your company is laughing all the way to the bank. They love the 10 in 1 employees.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
You know how it is, Biomed always falls in that gray area. Dot Com is in our job descriptions.......

Posts: 14 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 30 April 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
<westcoastech> I'm with you man!!! Getting taking advantage and to add to, no offense..., sometimes our co-tech too. Nice in front of us, but in the back would laugh at us... you know why??? because, he gets us in doing his job!!! Eeker

<pato>
posted
There should be a well defined line between Patient Care Technicians and Equipment Technicians. Our Equipment Technicians perform all the preventive maintenance and non preventive maintenance on hemodialysis related equipment, collect the monthly samples on water, dialysate and bicarbonate, do all the work related to water treatment systems but daily monitoring (done by PCT's), perform training of new PCT's on water treatment. Patient Care staff takes care of bicarbonate mixing, inventory, etc.
We have done this for the last three years and now we are more efficient than before when technicians were "Jack's of all trades"

pato

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for info. I was wondering how other tech done there jobs,always work the machine and other upkeep,but as years goes by we have been handling more and more with pt care.I just took my CCHT test, I know in about 3 weeks if I passed. does any one know any good studying guides for Biomed test I am shooting to take one in Oct. I am trying (for myself) to become cert. in both areas. thanks tech3

posted Hide Post
Great that you took the CCHT certification. I have worked my way around as well being in the field 17 years. BONENT certified for 15 years. I've worked as CHT-PCT, Precepted PCT's, Reuse TEch, Precepted REuse, Inventory, Water (both disinfection and samplings) and now Equipment Tech. The more hats you wear the more marketable you will be down the road. IF you are not in a place where you are appreciated once you have the certification under your belt you can be even more marketable.

By the way everything I do that requires a sign off I place CHT at the end of my signature.

Let us know how you did with the CCHT...
Sincerely,

Ivanrooni

<gama2btech>
posted
I live in a small town of Georgia and am interesting in becoming a hemodialysis tech. I am a Medical Assistant and still my heart is wanting to work as a tech as I have several family members with this illness. I have applied to Davita and Fresenius but has had no luck so I recently enrolled to take the course in a nearby town that offers the class but it will take me an hour to drive there and an hour to drive back and I just wanted to know if it's worth it? Is the pay good? Is the starting pay low for these small towns? Thanks for any help.

Report This Post
<Rease02>
posted
I maintance machines and im a reuse tech and now im certified to be a dialysis tech.It is good to be diverse cause u will always be busy doing somethin but like the other people said they will try to take advantage of u so know your worth cause when its time to ask for a raise to some degree u hold the cards cause they cant afford to lose someone who is so diverse.

Report This Post
<Fedup>
posted
Lambs led to slaughter! Equipment techs should unionize,country wide!!

Report This Post
<bamatech>
posted
Unions are usually good for the people pulling up the rear, not the people who lead from the front. Guaranteed pay and contracts will benefit the techs who only do this for a check and not because they value what they do. Work your butt off and someone along the way will appreciate you and advance you. You may have to leave a company or a state to get your shot, but this field is to big for the really talented people to get overlooked.

Report This Post
<Fedup>
posted
A great work ethic is hard to find nowadays,which inturn you work your butt off and they want more. The workers who get ahead in this life are the ones who kiss butt and do the least. So keep working hard,you will be rewarded by the guy standing behind you. Maybe even in another company or state.

Report This Post
<bamatech>
posted
Sounds like a disgruntled lifetime machine tech. If you can't advance in this field that is a "you" problem. This job doesn't even require a degree, so lets not make it rocket science. Some of us get ahead by being better at this job then others. If you are not good enough to advance that again is a "you" problem. Not your companies fault just yours.

Report This Post