New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blood Pump Rotor
 Login/Join

<Guest>
posted
Hey everyone I have a topic for discussion. I have 2008T machines and I had about 15 blood pump rotors that had broken pins. I know there is a place on an annual for checking these rotors but who is to say these pins doesn't break after the fact of an annual check. We are a very busy 6 day a week clinic and with the crappy parts Fresenius puts out these days, I had this issue. The bad thing is that the issue was found by an area manager when he had to fix a problem when I was gone from the clinic. I got chewed out and was told that this was a patient saftey issue. Long story short, no patient issues came of this and I replaced them all within 3 hours. No harm no foul. I was courious, for all the technicians that have been around, first of all has anyone had problems with these newer rotors and the pins breaking, has any patient issues came from it? Also what is the worst case scenario of these rotors being broke for patient saftey? Just curious why I got chewed out so bad when a fellow bio med got sighted for the same issue on an internal audit and that person got the chance to order new rotors and replace them. If it was such a patient saftey issue, would it matter if u had 5 broken rotors vs 15? Would really like some feedback here. Thanks y'all.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Pinhead>
posted
The problem is your staff is yanking on the lines during tear down and this will keep happening until someone tells them to stop. I would speak to the Clinic Manager and let them know what is going on. Of course, they will all deny it, but it happens. I think your manager is a pinhead. If the problem is not brought to your attention, (service request) how are you supposed to know which ones are broken on any given day. Maybe he wants you to do a rotor check at the end of every treatment shift. The danger, sure, if the pin is flopping around that bad it could theoretically damage the bloodline. That's why the staff isn't supposed to yank the lines out. I would order a handful of rotors and tell the Clinic Manager you will be spending a lot of money on rotors until the staff learns the proper way to remove a bloodline.

<rebel ron>
posted
I to have had many issues from the staff ripping lines out , from bending pins to pulling plastic cover from rotor , also most of my blood pumps the screws have been pulled out of the modules resulting in having to use drywall screws to hold modules in, just another day in the life of a biomed?

<Pinhead>
posted
reb ron, that brings up another failing of the clinical staff. They will not measure the proper ratios for a 1% bleach solution, (they figure more is better). Well guess what. their 2000 ppm bleach solution they wipe the recliners and machines down with is destroying the equipment. Also, they slop the solution all over to the point of over saturation. I guess they think the blood pump must have blood on it, so they better real slop the bleach solution on it good.

<Guest>
posted
Thanks for the feedback, I know the majority of the problem is the staff yanking the lines out....truth be told, I didn't get chewed out I got terminated! I catered to everyone's need and was a team player. I have been in dialysis for over 8 years and never had been written up or terminated. I feel like I got ambushed by the clinic manager and another bio med.

<Guest>
posted
They fired you over bad blood pump rotors? I can see how 15 is a bit excessive, but were you being informed and was it digging into the plastic in the back? Unless staff informs us and if its not digging into the plastic in the back there isn't really a way for us to tell until we pull it for a PM. I try to walk through my clinic at least once a week and look for the signs on the back wall: powder, grooves, and such. But without the staff telling me I would not know either until it is pulled for a PM. How many machine total do you have in the clinic? I can see if you had just done your pm's and it was found that day or a day later you maybe get a write up. But termination is a bit extreme.

<Guest>
posted
23 machines and they all have around 6500 hrs on the machines, clinic is a couple years old. I can see them writing me up but I didn't have a clue I was going to get terminated. The issue was found and I corrected it by replacing all the rotors within 3 hrs of the findings. No patient issues occurred but I lost my job. Very frustrating, very!

<Guest>
posted
How many of them were pm'd within how much time of the finding?

<Your boss is a jerk>
posted
Your boss sounds like the classic "blue falcon" or Delta Bravo. Just remember, karma's a bitch.

<Guest>
posted
To be honest I really didn't have a chance to review exactly which machines had the broken pins, I made some calls and collected some rotors and installed all new parts. I left and 2 days later with no kind of warning I got terminated. Imagine telling your wife and 4 kids that you got fired! I have been around dialysis machines for a long time and I have never had this issue. In my PMs I would do a visual and put some 3-in-1 oil on the arms and work then back and fourth, never had this issue. I guess from then to now parts aren't lasting. The first 3 months I had to replace 5 power supply's, 6 power logic boards, 4 blood pressure modules, and 3 balancing chambers. Y'all tell me,,, did I get a bunch of lemons or what?

<Dmonster>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Guest:
23 machines and they all have around 6500 hrs on the machines, clinic is a couple years old. I can see them writing me up but I didn't have a clue I was going to get terminated. The issue was found and I corrected it by replacing all the rotors within 3 hrs of the findings. No patient issues occurred but I lost my job. Very frustrating, very!
Sounds like you worked for the "Big D"

<Guest>
posted
On a good note, you will be able to at least get unemployment till you find a new job. I know it isn't a good enough pay, but some is better than none. You can always try a different company for dialysis and explain the reasoning why this happened. Good luck on finding a new job fast.
quote:
Originally posted by Guest:
To be honest I really didn't have a chance to review exactly which machines had the broken pins, I made some calls and collected some rotors and installed all new parts. I left and 2 days later with no kind of warning I got terminated. Imagine telling your wife and 4 kids that you got fired! I have been around dialysis machines for a long time and I have never had this issue. In my PMs I would do a visual and put some 3-in-1 oil on the arms and work then back and fourth, never had this issue. I guess from then to now parts aren't lasting. The first 3 months I had to replace 5 power supply's, 6 power logic boards, 4 blood pressure modules, and 3 balancing chambers. Y'all tell me,,, did I get a bunch of lemons or what?

<Guest>
posted
A bit late to the party here, but did you check for a recall on your machines? Some of them have been recalled, like so many other things of recent..

posted Hide Post
Sorry for your troubles. I hope you can find a job soon. It is evident to me that you shouldn't be working for someone like that anyway. Your supervisor really doesn't know much about these machines, right? This is an ongoing problem with Fresenius machines. It is the job of the BioMed to repair problems brought to their attention by the floor staff. If they don't tell you about it, how the heck are you suppose to know. You worked for a bunch of idiots and you will be better off somewhere else. If you find your way to Arkansas, I will have an opening in about a year (opening a new clinic). The pay isn't as much as you are used to, but cost of living isn't as expensive.

Posts: 86 | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WOW sorry to hear that. If you are in the Lawrenceville, Norcross, Georgia area email me your resume we need 1 more bio med. Are anyone else interested can do so.
2 clinics is what you will be responsible for and help out when needed at other 5.

Pecodee@gmail

to live is Christ and to die is gain.
Philippians 1:21

Posts: 26 | Location: Ga | Registered: 09 September 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post