RenalWEB Home Page    renalweb.groupee.net    RenalWEB Discussion Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Dialysis Technician Forums  Hop To Forums  Dialysis Technical Forum    How much water should be in the Brine Tank?

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
How much water should be in the Brine Tank?
 Login/Join

<Brine Tank>
posted
Question (may be stupid)

How much water should be in the Brine Tank? Should it be halfway or higher? Seems like I'm having to fill mine with water every couple months and then it drops over time again and maintains that level (about 1/3 the size of the tank). I like to keep it at a 1/2, but is this necessary?

Report This Post
<Sparkles>
posted
It needs what it needs. depends on the size of your softner and how much brine solution it pulls out. As long as there is water in there it should be good.

Report This Post
<Wama>
posted
You might want to check the float assembly if the brine is being drawn up to the tank but the tank isn't replacing the water there is a problem. You shouldn't be manually adding water. When's the last time you had the brine tank cleaned? Be amazed at the lovely slime built up under the salt platform.
My best guess is the float is stuck and not allowing the water to return to the brine tank from the softner head.

Most tanks I have seen are just over 1/2

Report This Post
<1/3>
posted
ones we have are @ about 1/3, but I believe Sparkles is correct. Depends on how much brine needs to be drawn during regen cycle

Report This Post
<Jack W.>
posted
It is what it is... Clean brine tank and float assembly. If too much water is in the tank then it is probably your timer head orings. If you are not getting enough water or too little then you might have a clog in the fill lines. Is water going to drain with the RO turned off? Then it definitely your valve on the head of the softener and it needs to rebuilt, orings.spacers, etc. The main thing is testing your hardness at the beginning of each day and at the end of the day. If those hardness readings are good then things are good.

Report This Post
<ECT>
posted
Depends on the size of your softener tank, most cases 1/4 to 1/3 water in brine tank is sufficient. 1/2 or more is just a waste of salt.

Report This Post
<Cane>
posted
I believe the new regulation is any size tank must be at least half full of salt, above the water line, but still able to see the water line. I think the old days of just piling salt to the top are a "no no" now. Inspectors claim if you can't see the water line how do you knoe there is any water in it at all.

Report This Post
<pops>
posted
You might want to rebuild your softener head every 5 years or so. I know that the big f wants the carbon heads done eevery year, but seem to ignore the softener

Report This Post
<CT@S&W>
posted
The real question is, is your water still soft at the end of the day? If it is then your softener is pulling up enough brine to regenerate your resin sufficiently to get you through the treatment day. If you need more information contact Mar-Cor. They can calculate how many cubic feet on resin you have and how much brine you should be requiring per regeneration. Hope this helps

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cane:
I believe the new regulation is any size tank must be at least half full of salt, above the water line, but still able to see the water line. I think the old days of just piling salt to the top are a "no no" now. Inspectors claim if you can't see the water line how do you knoe there is any water in it at all.

We have been dinged on this when salt level is 1/2 to 3/4 full if inspectors see water than there isnt enough salt.We just upgraded to a larger softner and brine tank,Holds 800# of salt and water level comes around 1/2 way up.

posted Hide Post
Our brine tanks have a rack that keeps the salt about 10 inches off the bottom of the tank. The water levels is about 6 inches above the rack.

Chuck

DISCLAIMER : My opinions and views are mine and may not be the same as my employer.

Posts: 1896 | Location: Baltimore, MD USA | Registered: 24 October 2001Report This Post
<mikelonewolf>
posted
New CMS regulations require the tank to be half full of salt.

Report This Post
<Brine Tank>
posted
Thanks everyone!

I ended up changing the Brine Fill Time on the Softener Head by moving the pins to allow it to back fill the Brine Tank more at the end of the Backwash. It was at 1/3 yesterday, at a 1/2 this morning. No more RO hand filling for me!

We were not having any issues whatsoever, I was just curious if there was a certain amount of water people were keeping in the tank.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
AAMI RD52 says "The softener brine tank should be monitored daily to ensure that a saturated salt solution exists in the brine tank. Salt pellets should fill at least half the tank."

1 gallon of water saturated with NaCl will contain 2.6 lbs of salt. Example - If you have a 3 ft3 softener that is set at 15 lbs of salt per cubic foot, you will need to dissolve 45 lbs of salt per regeneration. Therefore, you will need 17.3 gallons of water in the brine tank to dissolve 45 lbs of salt. The more water you have in the Brine Tank, the more salt you will dissolve. Since you can not measure the amount of water that goes into the Brine Tank, measure the amount of salt that is being used. If you are regenerating the softener once per day and using 45 lbs of salt per day, you should need to add an average of 45 lbs of salt per day to the Brine Tank.

If you are not using as much salt as you plan, then increase the amount of time (number of pins) to fill the Brine Tank. If you are using more salt than you plan, then decrease the amount of time to file the Brine Tank.

How high the water level is in the Brine Tank depends on how big your Brine Tank is (what is the diameter). My personal opinion is the salt needs to be slightly above the water line. The water needs to be in contact with the salt for it to get to 100% saturation of NaCl. Water above the salt does not get to 100% saturation. Water below the salt (as mentioned by Chuck due to a false bottom) does get saturated since salt water is heaver than the water that entered the Brine Tank.

The Water Guy - Florian Services

Posts: 617 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 24 January 2005Report This Post